ScrewDrive Upgrade Kit (New and updated Thread)

I love his. I did a complete disassembly and reassembly with locktite. Well worth the time.

1st production job after lead screw upgrade. Text at 50 in/min. Laser cuts at 60 in/min through 1/8 thick balsa.
10 passes using JTech Photonics 3.8 Watt laser. Very precise cut.
Occasional vibration with rapid moves on Y with $110=$111=4000 mm/min. (may drop to 3500 and check tension on Y V-wheels).

All in all excellent result!

Original X-Carve 2015 with Lead Screw Upgrade (New 18mmx25mm drag chain from Amazon that can open & close)

Results of 1st Laser Etch with Lead Screw Upgrade

Item Assembled

Item Assembled Zoomed In (No Glue. All slides together).

Tweak your acceleration as well. Should help with the vibrations. And maybe lube the nutblock with silicone.

Ok. It’s completely lubed on all axes with Lucas White Lithium Grease.
I’ll experiment with acceleration later today. Thanks.

I have tried to get them to answer questions but have had no luck. Do I have to do a bunch of reprogramming to make it work? Is it a 2 inch rise? It only lists a 1000 x 750. I have a 1000 x 1000, how do I get the right stuff?

U need to do a little more research. All the info is readily available on the forum and the site. Any questions can be posted or PMed.
I’m still processing a bunch of orders and still snapping a bunch of m2 taps. :sob::sob::sob::sob:

If its too much trouble to tell me how to order the right one and if I need to do a bunch of programming, maybe you should re think being in business. Customer service is what sells stuff. Thanks though.

As I said all the info is on the site. If you were familiar with the x-carve you would know the size ranges and understand that the 1000mm kit fits the 750mm and that the statement 1000/750 mean both and not 1000 x 750. Feel free to actually reach out and send me a PM or post @me with a question.
I am selling kits. No it’s not a business. It’s a hobby.
(In order to give customer service there needs to be a customer with a question or problem.)

Where did you get that honey comb riser for your laser cutting? I have purchased the upgrade but have not installed yet. Glad to see your happy with it.

1 Like

I got it on Amazon
Aluminum Honeycomb Grid Core, 1/4" Cell, 18.4"x24.4"x 1.00"
Price: $30.00 + $10.49 shipping
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AYIZ5MK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How difficult is setting up and using a laser?

Not sure what you are looking for but check out jtech lasers there is a short video on setting one up. It is pretty simple and easy. I have one and can run it so i think anyone can do it. Just a matter of programing like the cnc.

I’m thinking more about the danger for ones eyes.

I bought a shild from Phil and very little of the ray is exsposed and i also have a 12x24" shild i can place in front of that. It is like welding you can look at it just don’t stand there and look at it.

This is the main reason why I didn’t get into lasers sooner. Buying the wrong pair of laser goggles and you could lose your eyesight permanently. Be VERY careful which goggles you end up buying. You only get one set of eyes. Also be care about laser reflections. The most important factor to look for is the OD (optical density) number. I do not recommend you ever buy laser goggles on eBay. Most of the sellers will exaggerate the OD number. Are there legitimate eBay sellers? Sure, but you’re playing with your eyesight, and you just can’t trust which ones are giving you real protective googles, and which ones are giving you hyped up goggles. Refer to ANSI Z136.1-2000 to ensure that you are wearing proper laser eye protection. Real laser goggles will cost you a lot of money, that’s just their nature. The way I look at it is imagine that you are blind. Now a doctor tells you that you could see again for X amount of dollars. Whatever “X” amount is, that is the amount that you should consider to pay for a good pair of laser goggles.

More information here;

It was very easy. Instructions at Jtech Photonics (http://jtechphotonics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Instruction-Manual-HCDBSAFDA-J-Tech-Photonics-Inc-V1_2.pdf) were very straight forward. I’ve been using the laser since January 2016 w/o incident. I use the protective goggles that came with the laser kit.

I confirm you, they use 12mm leadscrews and 15mm square bearings for their screwd drive kit, take a look on their Facebook page.

1 Like

Thanks John for confirming the information!

I guess the version I got was one with 8mm leads. Either way his screw drive Z axis is def amazing.

Kit will be available on their website sometime today.

We’ll see if it’s affordable or not…