ScrewDrive Upgrade Kit (New and updated Thread)

I have the kit from OptLaser. Very easy to install, no external power supply needed especially if you run a DeWalt DW611 for your spindle.
They have a VERY nice magnetic mount, good instructions for installation, and it’s a 6 watt laser (the one I got anyway).
They have a complete one shot kit that comes complete with the proper goggles, the mount, everything you need (including the screws) except for the wiring. (easy to find at home depot or a local electrical supply house)

I haven’t found anything beyond reason that it won’t engrave or cut. In fact, it will even engrave on stainless steel!

Well worth the money if you ask me (which, by proxy, I guess you did!)

Al

1 Like

Oooh. Links please. Sounds interesting.

1 Like

I used a gas torch and they just melted right off.

For anyone thinking of buying this kit, my advice is simple hurry up and do it. I didn’t buy a Z axis extension, just the Y1, Y2, and X axis setup. I had some teething problems with the first set of lead screws, but after diagnosing the problem (thank you @HaldorLonningdal), @Phantomm organised a new replacement set sent out to me in Australia for free. Now my machine runs like a dream, and I simply could not endorse this product more. If I was Inventables, I’d either hire MFX workshop, or buy the rights to the design, and make every X Carve with these components as standard. What a game changer!

2 Likes

It continues to amaze me that after you’ve bought your X-Carve, the only upgrade Inventables has to sell you is another X-Carve or parts to upgrade your older machine to the current design. Their only way of making money from previous customers is bits, supplies, and Easel Pro. The X-Carve is a product designed to hit a cost target, I totally get that and am grateful that it allowed me to buy a machine I otherwise wouldn’t have considered within reach. But once I’ve decided I’ve got some extra money for select robustness or capacity upgrades why haven’t they decided to collect some of that income?

5 Likes

Is this kit or any other screw drive kit available anymore?

Doing batch orders only, currently.

So here’s a question, has anyone had issues with the Y-axis binding up on one side or the other? I’ve adjusted the eccentrics, taken the machine apart and put it back together twice so far. I’ve squared the frames checked alignment. I’ve gone through and checked everything I can think of to the point I may be doing more harm then good trying to make tweaks here and there. I’ve also lubed the threads on the screws. If I manually move the access say 600mm back and forth no problem, but as soon as it starts stepping say during a cut one side will bind and throw the axis off and boom another cut gets smoked. I’ve gone over all I can think of that’s super obvious and I’m still getting issues. Any advice I could give a crack at would be appreciated.

Sounds like your missing steps. Slow the rate and check your wires just in case. The faster you run your machine (especially under load) the more likely you are to miss steps on a machine like this.
What is your current step rate? $$

I’m starting ground up again, as soon as I get powered up and verify I’m not messing the setup up again and that it’s still giving me the same issue I’ll let you know and try and post some video or something

Important step above.

I think you just need to tweak your max speeds and your acceleration bit.

RE: Screw Drive Kit: Ive been on the MXF website and it is out of stock, when will it be available?

Thanks

Supplier delays. And cost is through the roof… So hard to decide how to deal. I am going to figure something out though.

Thanks for the update. Put me on the list please.

Hi All,

finally starting the upgrade - got the plates anodised - matt black

Garry

2 Likes

is there an upgrade for the 1000mm you have to forgive me I did not read the whole post

Yes, my machine is a 1000mm unit.

Cool thanks