Sealing Edges MDF with Complex Shapes

I am making some cutouts of MDF with the shape of Tennessee and making around 10-20 as gifts. I am trying to figure out the best and most efficient way to seal the edges before I paint them.

Currently, my plan is to seal edges, paint with oil based primer, and then paint with water based top coat. However, the challenge with the joint compound is trying to sand things correctly with all the nooks and crannies where it will look right. Is there a better way to do this?

1 Like

Someone suggest sealing MDF with some spay on shellac.

You can make a sanding tool. I have seen other posts on it.
Here is what they look like

You can also use a wood sealer such Thompson’s water seal and the spray shellac too.
Be careful of what shellac you get. Some contain wax. The spray does not from what I have found but read the label.

I’ve also had good luck using water and wood glue mix to seal edges. Shellac is a good option aswell

1 Like

I have been doing lots of mdf cutouts lately and tried many things but sanding sealer is the winner for sure.

I either brush it on or on smaller items I just fully submerge it for a second or so in the gallon bucket of sealer and then immediately wipe off the excess. Never had an issue with swelling