Selling carved & engraved goods at craft fairs, festivals and other events?

Hello Everyone,

I am on a quest for a business that I can take on the road. I have had a long time interest in woodworking & furniture building. I have dabbled in some more “crafty” items for small local holiday shows that I was “encouraged” to attend… I had reasonable success at that but my attention was focused elsewhere.

I come from a technology background and love the idea of melding my tech skills with my woodworking skills. I know that I am capable of producing nice things the big questions are:

Which items do people really buy? Signs, picture frames, wall art???

How is the competition? How many CNC carvers am I going to find at those events?

What sort of shows are the most profitable? Art & craft? Home shows? Themed shows such as rodeo, car shows, biker events?

Any tips or advice from those out there doing it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Stephen

Etsy is my “show on the road.” Thankfully, the post office is next door. It’s also a good place to see the amazing variety of “stuff” people buy. Some if it is pretty shocking… and will likely send your self-confidence sky-rocketing. Good luck and keep it fun for you.

1 Like

I have not had to good of luck on etsy :cold_sweat:

1 Like

Its all about the marketing.
I am about to work my etsy soon.
I just need to stabilize my equipment and be able to meet any type of demand. :slight_smile:

thats very true the market is saturated

yesterday I had the highest views ever at 293 views

without 1 single sale

I am not calling it an issue with my products just yet because I average between 10 and 25 views a day for 4 months now

why did I get 293 views yesterday? who knows there analytics are the not the greatest

I get lots and lots and lots of favorites though so people like my product but why won’t they buy lol
I am alot cheaper that my competitors imo I check them often

I have nothing but 5 star reviews raving about my shop

I just can’t seem to figure it out alot of people that I talk to even in my own town are saying that they are so busy they can’t keep up with orders

1 Like

I have had great luck on ETSY, but with Woodturning items.

FYI and my 2 cents, small items sell good on ETSY (low cost for shipping), Large and heavy do not sell good (because high cost shipping).

Thanks for the info on Etsy,

I will keep that in mind. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on:

I am on a quest for a business that I can take on the road. I have had a long time interest in woodworking & furniture building. I have dabbled in some more “crafty” items for small local holiday shows that I was “encouraged” to attend… I had reasonable success at that but my attention was focused elsewhere.

I am considering taking an X-Carve and laser engraver to various shows and selling stock items as well as onsite custom work. Various carved & engraved items. Signs, leather goods, various small wood items etc.

I come from a technology background and love the idea of melding my tech skills with my woodworking skills. I know that I am capable of producing nice things the big questions are:

Which items do people really buy? Signs, picture frames, wall art???

How is the competition? How many CNC carvers am I going to find at those events?

What sort of shows are the most profitable? Art & craft? Home shows? Themed shows such as rodeo, car shows, biker events?

Any tips or advice from those out there doing it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Stephen

I only had 50 sales in the last 12 months - but that is plenty for me… I have a day job. Feels good to get to 50 - especially when the average sale is $150 plus. Pays for my tools and experimentation… and beer. I learned to jack up postage. Artsy items seem to sell better and command a higher prices than the typical “dog cut out of wood.” or “wood letter.”

2 Likes

Lol. Me too. I have a very demanding day job but my wife knows I NEED a hobby and is happy I have one that covers a lot of its own costs. I bought my X-Carve, drum sander, and new drill press from word-of-mouth sales.

1 Like

My friend sells antiques and crafts at fairs and festivals for a living I do it part time with him. I have yet to see any vendor selling Items like one would make with the xcarve and my friend has only seen 3 others in a year and a half that sell things like what I make. Simple sells and anything that fits in the category of primitive seems to sell well. I mostly do fast and simple and keep it cheap with a few larger items in the mix. Rough cut lumber scraps from the local sawmill is sold as firewood round here at $10 a truckload that leaves room for a lot of profit and the ability to sell cheap. Words and phrases sell. No vcarve no laser no 3d just a block of wood with a scrap of copper wire to hang it with with the word welcome cut 1/16 deep with some acrylic paint poured into the lettering sells for $3 each and I can sell on average 75-100 of just those in a 2 day period. Bigger items like a old board with some lettering and door knobs attached to make a coat hanger bring $35-$45. Rough cut scraps with some small screw in hooks with the word keys sell for $10-$15. For family reasons I keep a full time job close to home but if I could I would do festivals and such full time because in 2 days of selling I can make more than twice what my current job pays a month.

4 Likes

It will pick up a lot leading up to Christmas.

1 Like

Thank you Shane!!

I appreciate your response. That is really good information for me and good news as well.

I don’t have access to $10/truckload scrap here. I do see sawmill scrap but it is sold as firewood for closer to $100 a truckload. I do think that even with the difference in material cost that I can do ok. If the lumber portion for a piece costs me 50 cents instead of 5 cents on a $10 item I will survive :slight_smile:

I like your “simple and rustic” mindset. I had ideas along those lines as well.

What sort of shows do you find yield the best business?

Thanks again.

Steve

1 Like

Here is something to try, Raise your prices on Etsy and in the text about you and the products tell your potential customers that if they visit your personal web site you will give them a code to purchase at what ever price you are selling at now, But say it is only for a limited time to promote your brand,

Human physcology will make the people that are looking seriously enough to follow the link to get the code really consider the purchase if the perceived savings are great enough.

Everybody likes to think they are getting a deal.

3 Likes

here are a few we have set up at.
http://www.thefairgrounds.com/fleamarket/
http://www.wabashvalleywineandartfestival.com/
http://www.croycreektraderfair.com/index.html
http://www.coveredbridges.com/events/parke-county-covered-bridge-festival
here you might be able to locate one in your area
http://www.artscraftsshowbusiness.com/shows.aspx?state=IN
and after a few months what don’t sell goes here
http://dinkysauction.com/

1 Like

Thank you again Shane,

That is the kind of information that will help me decide what direction to take with this endeavor.

IS.

I wuld say your sales are a bit “slow” my friend.

1 Like

Good to hear about your Etsy sales.

I imagine if you started a thread about Etsy sales that you may get more interest & activity.

Just a thought.

Nice Phil.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

THe Main thing I have found out doing Craft Shows over the years is that few people carry Cash. I sell Cigar Box Guitars and they are not $5 items. I went to Paypal then to Square Credit card reader. Post a Big sign that you take credit cards. Square can send them via email a receipt. Made a BIG difference.I still get orders for special orders but going to shows and not selling anything does not pay for my hobby! Plus by having one of these I can also take orders via emails without going on Ebay etc.