Set X/Y Axis starting point

I am having troubles with setting and keeping the x/y axis starting point. I will set it then enter the console window and enter in the following command after I have positioned the bit correctly, “G10 L20 P1 X0 Y0”, once I enter this and get everything set and start cutting it does not cut in the correct position, its way off center.

Thoughts?

Do you have homing switches enabled?
They are a requirement for this to work.

Homing cycle provide a machine reference point, the work zero position (G10 L20 P1 X0 Y0) is stored as an offset from machine zero. Without that… :slight_smile:

I do have the homing switches. So before setting the work zero position I need to run the homing sequence, then get the bit into position for the work zero position, then enter “G10 L20 P1 X0 Y0”.

If what I read before this is a permanent work zero start point, what would cause it to be cleared etc?

Yes, since the G10 command is only an offset value (like 2 click west, 4 clicks south) you need a consistent reference origin. Homing switches provide that.

this offset value will change every time you assign a different spot as work zero (aka Easel Home Position)

But my understanding of the “G10 L20 P1 X0 Y0” command was to permanently set the work zero starting position, is this not the case?

Once it is set all I should have to do is click “Use last X/Y” when running a job through Easel.

That is correct, but without a fixed origin (homing switches) the information have no use.
It persist until redefined.

• Perform a homing cycle
  • Jog to intended work zero, assign this as work zero (G10 L20 P1 X0 Y0 Z0)
  • Power machine off and back on
  • Perform a new homing cycle
  • Tell the machine to move to X0Y0Z0 - it is expected to move to your assigned work zero point.

@RandyBishop What part of that is not working? You just say

Can you give more details? If you’re homing with switches your work zero persists…only you can change it.

Thank you Haldor, will give this a shot when I get home tonight.