Setting precise X Y zeros on Easel/Xcarve Pro

Is there any way to set precise X Y zeros in Easel? From what I see setting the Z zero is precise, but for X Y Easel basically says to put the X Y in a general vicinity and counting on the size of your stock to make the X Y zero position “good enough.” Is there any way to use an edge finder and have Easel display these coordinates like how you indicate a part in on a manual mill or lathe with a DRO? How could you go about making precise tool paths on parts you need to re-indicate for different setups IE flipping the part over and machining the back side? Do you need to run a different program other than Easel with an Xcarve Pro to do this simple stuff?

When you go through the initiation of the Carve sequence in EASEL does it not give you the option to set the X & Y Home position after using the Z-Probe to set the Z Home position?

When you do this, the Work X, Y, and Z Home positions are stored as offsets from the Machine home position. As long as you flip the part and keep it in the exact same position with respect to the Machine workspace (ex. using dowl pins or bump stops). You might have to reset the Z Home position if the thickness of your piece has decreased due to carving the first side completely away…

Does that make sense?

{:0)

Brandon Parker

What edge finder are you using?
Were you thinking of doing it mechanically or electrically?

Are you aware of the machine inspector in Easel? You could do things manually from there.
If you want things to happen automatically, you’re ready to move on from Easel.

You could get a 3 axes touch plate and zero all x,y and z all at the same time and get reapitable results each time.

Would this touch probe simply attach like how the Z probe attaches? How would Easel know to look for a XY probe? How would you be able to get back to this xyz zero in Easel?

Need to talk with Charlie Thomas he makes and sells them. Maybe someone can drop a link here so you can check him out. Just search for 3 axes touch plate and you will see plenty of info on it. I have one and it works great.

I was going to make an edge finder (bearing one described above or one of those ones that light up when touching off)
Not sure what you mean by “mechanically or electrically.” I think the only way to jog is through the computer.

Ill have to check out this machine inspector. I have to work within the limits of the program since it’s not my machine (it was just acquired by a maker space I’ve been using).

That probe looks pretty interesting, although I’m not sure if it can run through the stock setup on the Xcarve/Easel since I doubt the maker space would be up to modifying things/installing new software.

It can be set up in Easel i use it everyday. Can be set up for other programs also.

I didn’t see a description above?

Anyway, typically users of these machines don’t use edge finders, they use probes similar to the one @WayneHall linked. You can enter probe commands manually through the machine inspector of you needed to.

That was in reference to the type of edge finder.

Probing with an endmill is probably not as accurate as using a vbit to set zero by eye (depending on the eyes). I think this comes down to the type of precision and accuracy you need.

1 Like

Awesome, I’ll look into getting one of these. Sounds great. Thanks for the help-
Accuracy would have to be fairly tight for machining something that has different setups for everything to align, but its wood working so there is some leeway, +/- 0.003 ish.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.