Shapes that are the same size/height of the bit size won't cut

This is an outgoing bug, that drives me crazy. And I haven’t found a workaround.
I have a bit of 6mm, for example, and if I have a rectangular shape that is 6mm height, easel won’t cut it.

It seems like it will only cut if the

bit_diameter>shape_height_diameter

while it should be :

bit_diameter >= shape_height_diameter.

I contacted, many time ago support with this matter, and they didn’t offer a solution. Is there any workaround? I am currently setting my bit size to be 0.1mm smaller than the shape to cut, but this leads to cumulated errors and it is not ideal. Also, if I make my shape bigger, the cut is bigger than what I want, and it takes much more time to cut because of the double passes that it has to do, just for that 0.1mm offset.

In the attatched image we can see that if the bit size is set to it’s actual size, and it matches the shapes height, it won’t cut it.

But if I lower the shape size to a degree of 0.1mm, (which is a lot and the minimum step allowed in the description of the bit size’s variable), it will cut it:

Any help is appreciated. I like to design simple shapes that matches the bit size, in order to optimize cutting times and simplify the overall process.

Thanks a lot for the insight,

The way easel processes a pocket the tool will need to perform an inside perimiter pass, and with the rounding that eaeel does, it cant perform a perimiter pass.

:point_right: If you’re making slots like your photo, then change those shapes into lines (the line tool), then they will carve with whatever the selected bit size is without regard to its diameter.

2 Likes

Thanks.

But the same applies with composite shapes. And I can’t not keep those in “lines”. And Easel will always skip some parts, when the diameter of the bit is equal to the shape that it is suposed to carve.

If you’re doing more complex shapes, then the lines would not help, thats correct.

For closed shapes with the cut type of pocket the same “enough room to run an inside perimeter” rule applies and the areas would need space to run the bit through in both directions…

You can see where it isnt going to carve by selecting “view uncut area” using the 3 dots button at the bottom right of the simulation. That would at least highlight the area that the bit is too large to get into the design. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Just curios did you check the dimension of the bit with a micrometer? I remember an old post were this was a discussion. Not sure were I saw it at but for critical work the guy did this.

Hummmm. How do you mean? I always measure my bits with a micrometer, because I find that there can be slight differences. But, even if I do that, if I find my bit is 6.3 mm, I set my design to carve that space. At least that is what I want.

Also, if only easel would allow that “enough space” for the bit sizes in increments smaller than 1/10 of a milimeter, this would be solved.

It is a shame that a design that I could carve in 30min, takes 1h or more because of double passes. This is something that should be configurable, in order for easel to be more proficient I guess. This is, in my opinion, why, when comparing carving times from easel and fusion360 or other cnc programs, they all beat easel in time/path optimization.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.