Sharing a Lamp Build That I Just Completed

thanks.

Try Onshape.

we are not limiting hobbyist to 1yrā€¦ its always freeā€¦

and Kiri:moto super cool CAM. Its brand new. Free, and works awesome on x-carve. A lot easier to use then FusionCAMā€¦

Kiri:moto is on the onshape app store. its free along with 28 other free, professional toolsā€¦

1 Like

Joe, the Fusion360 site says (fairly clearly I think) that the hobby license is free for as long as you want it as long as you re-apply for it every year. You can see it here : Fusion 360 | 3D CAD, CAM, CAE, & PCB Cloud-Based Software | Autodesk by pressing the little ā€˜iā€™ button next to where is says ā€˜Full use of Fusion 360 for as long as you need itā€™.

Are you saying that is not the case? Or are you referring to some other software when you write ā€˜we are not limiting hobbyist to 1yrā€¦ its always freeā€¦ā€™.

Looking forward to your answer as Iā€™ve just started using Fusion 360 and Iā€™m really enjoying it, Iā€™d hate to have to change software.

1 Like

Yes, I saw that too, but by saying that they do not limit hobby licenses to one year they are implying that others do.

As Fusion 360 was the last product mentioned on the thread I am trying to clarify what their licensing terms are, reading the Fusion 360 website it seems to me like they are offering a hobby license for as long as we need it, Joe is implying that they donā€™t.

Are you getting a different impression to what I got here? doesnā€™t it seem to you like he is implying that Fusion 360 has a one year limit on their license?

Fusion is a per year lic. Hence you have to request to get the free lic each year. Adsk has a 30yr track record to go back to. You can decide for yourself if you feel they have earned your trust. Since you are assuming they will continue to make this special free offering year after yearā€¦ Keep in mind they did not originally plan to do this. This happened immediately after the Onshape product announcement last year.

My point is Onshape much different. Onshape is just free for hobbyist, period. From day one this was our plan. The core premise of Onshape is all users can share models with each other without worrying about whether each user is a paid user. Its why we started the company. Think Google docs + SolidWorks + GitHubā€¦

The model we chose was based on private vs public. Like gitHub. In general anybody can use Onshapeā€™s full product for free. as long as you do so in a public manner. If you want privacy, then we feel that moves into the professional type of usage. But even the free user gets some privacy. As an example the models done here on Inventables should all easily be handled under a free users private documentsā€¦

Apps in the App Store must offer a free component too. +28 apps and counting.

Sorry this became a bit of a sales pitch. I will refrain from further salesy stuff. But with the addition of Kiri:moto CAM. I think this community would be very pleased with what is available today. I am here because I spend just about every weekend out in my garage with my x-carve modifying, cutting and building stuff.

Also anybody that wants to get access the this model themselves here is it:

Dewalt Air Diverter

Joe

Thanks to all for the additional info, Iā€™ll look into OnShape as well.

Not to further muddy the waters and hijack a GREAT project threadā€¦BUT I think there are many CAD solutions out there that satisfy the needs of a great range interests/pursuits. Like a lot of things, it all depends on what youā€™re trying to do, right? For example in a lot of ways Iā€™d consider Easel a standalone CAD solution in that it likely completely satisfies the needs of many people who use it.

For me, after spending much of high school/college days using SolidWorks, and post graduation 5+ years of heavy ProE Wildfire/Creo use - I personally found after much trial and tribulation trying several programs including FreeCam/Onshape/Fusion360 that Fusion360 was fundamentally the easiest transition to make from my other experience. I used it and it instantly made sense i.e. I felt like I didnā€™t have to re-learn everything. Others will have different experiences - in the end itā€™s all subjective. Yay Capitalism!

BTW again, great lamp! :slight_smile:

new lamp design (not nearly as nice as the one built by @RayNeel )

I like that minimalist lampā€¦I may make one of those for the corner of the garage that Iā€™ve dedicated to CNC and woodworking. It feels like a cave sometimes at night, and the dinky little lamp I have in there isnā€™t really doing the job.

Here is a similar lamp in full steampunk mode

http://frednelsonfabrication.com/daVinchi%20lamp.htm

3 Likes