Shop Setup Suggestions

Greetings all. At long last I ordered my 1000mm X-Carve and I’m in the happy position to be able to setup my shop around it. I have a 12x16 building being delivered tomorrow which is brand new and untouched by any other’s ideas of a shop layout.

I have been building my tool portfolio for quite a while so imagine pretty much everything from a drill press, miter saw, table router, framing nailers, trim nailers, etc. Not to mention the requisite support tooling for this and my other hobby (electronics). Somewhere my backup generator, tiller and power washer need to squeeze in - but I’ll make that work after the basic shop is set.

I will be running in all of my own electrical (sub-panel will be installed and grounded per code) and I have a decent idea of how I want my shop to look.

My quandary is the position / layout of the X-Carve itself. My thoughts are I want to be able to navigate around its entire perimeter thus I’ll likely drop the electrical services from the ceiling (or embed floor outlets). I want to keep it as clean and workable as possible.

My question is, what do those of you that have owned your machines for a while think? Being an engineer I tend to overthink and over design things but this is the time when I can do it right the first time and reap the rewards of a well thought out design.

Any suggestions, drawings or photos of your shop and how it works (or doesn’t work) for you would be welcome.

Thanks - I am looking forward to being an active member of this maker community. From what I have read thus far you all sound like you’re in the mindset that I maintain. That is, help each other, don’t get haughty and condescending and offer constructive criticism. That’s definitely refreshing!

1 Like

@Zach_Kaplan, is this the first documented case of a customer not only buying an X-Carve, but the building to put it in?

1 Like

Welcome.
When i first got my machine i struggled with connectivity issues.
I have come to learn that the controller is sensitive to outside electrical interference. (dust collectors, shop vacs, florescent lights, etc)
Run separate electric circuits.
One for your computer and controller and the other for your spindle and dust collector.(and or anything else)
Also use LED lighting and not the standard florescent.
Can wait to pictures of your setup…

LOL Steve. I do like to march to my own beat so we will see how it works out. I’m currently designing the space in Catia V5.

Jan. Thanks so much. Great suggestions about circuit isolation and I’ll have no trouble since I’m wiring from scratch. I intend to power each major tool and electronics on its own circuit. Plus I have a panel mount surge suppressor to at least capture any normal transients coming off the grid.

I’ll be happy to post pics when I’m set up. Might be a month before I’m there.

1 Like

I’m with you on designing your workshop in CAD. I’ve been designing my shop cabinets and tables in Fusion 360 even when I build them with non-automated tools. After a while it became easy to measure part of the actual space and include the individual models in the workshop space. Then I ended up modeling the main worktable, laser stand (under the blue rectangle), and garbage can just for completeness. The table at the far left is the one my X-Carve sits on.

Just so you’re aware, many LED bulbs can cause just as much interference as the older fluorescents did, especially the cheaper LED’s, older style LED’s and LED’s manufactured in china.

According to FCC rules, LED lighting devices intentionally generate RF energy via electronic power conversion, but are not intended to radiate RF energy by radiation, and thus they are classified as ‘unintentional’ radiators. Most newer LED lighting devices (designed and manufactured in the U.S.) are now subject to FCC Section 15.109.

Very interesting, I did not know that.
They give off one hell of a bright white light tough.
I’ve been thinking about replacing all of the lights in my shop.
But 10 fixtures @ 2 bulbs each gets a bit pricey.
Thanks for the info.

Which is where most people run into problems. They buy the cheaper ones thinking they are made the same as the more expensive ones, but they’re not. I just redid my shop with ones from Lithonia Lighting. Home Depot and amazon both carry them. They are EMI/RFI rated, come with new fixtures and are very reasonably priced. If you have a lot of lights to replace you’re better off doing a few of them at a time, instead of buying a lot of cheaper ones. Just make sure they have a good EMI/RFI rating. Philips Hue, Cree and Lifx all make good bulbs.

Love the shop Steve! So far I only have walls and shelving. The building came yesterday and I’m very pleased. It’s a blank canvas. Just the way I like it.

So I see you created a dedicated table for x-carve. That’s my intent as well. Also great info about the lights. I’ll keep that in mind. One change I already made was to move my well pump off the sub circuit that will power my building. It’s been rerouted to our other outbuildings.

Also intend to use an apc ups to power the computer and the controller so I hope that will be sufficient. I didn’t read the CFR yet but being a licensed radiotelephone operator (among other things) my assumption is that these cheap lights are actually “broadcasting” indiscriminately and causing interference in the controller itself. One thought that leaps to mind is to build a faraday shield for the controller. That may obviate the issue. Will keep you all posted on my progress. Thanks for all the great input.

I bought my bulbs from Amazon and were not cheap.
I’m going to go back and see what they are rated at.

Ha,just found them.

Looks good. According to their website it complies with FCC specs.

Thanks Jan. I’m going to take a look at those now.

Grizzly Industrial, maker or all kinds of wood and metal working tools, has a great shop layout tool on their web page. You might find it useful in your endeavor.