Should this work, in theory?

Let’s say I’m going to do a guitar body that is going to take some bit changes.

First cut the binding channel inside the outline with a 1/16", the the pockets and outline with a 1/4"…

Now, say I use the 1/16" bit to cut a 1/4" diameter pocket a few mm deep at my work zero, then jog to the point where my 1/4" bit drops into that pocket to rezero after the tool change.

Basically use the pocket and the bigger bit like an alignment pin…

Can you guys see any issues?

Thanks

I am having difficulty visualizing this?
But you should not need to reset your zero between carves as long as the original file use the same start point for all object. Changing diameter of the bit won’t change the start point. The software takes care of that :wink:
Or are you taking about having to remove the work piece and then bolt it back on the table later for a second cut? Then I can see the need for a reference point.
You may want to try the pin method or maybe a bump stop guide. So you can easily line up the work peace in the same spot as before.

i want to use the 1/16" (or 1.5mm as an alternative) to cut the route for the binding into the body blank as the first step. i can place the binding snugly in its groove, and i don’t have to tape it/glue it/ swear at it/ get acetone on my fingers etc. Also, the outer perimeter of the narrow slot does all the clamping needed to hold it in place until the acetone gasses out.

aside from that, i get what you are saying as far as leaving the machine to find it’s own home location. i guess I am just so “analog” by nature…

I’m going to use my machine primarily to produce the hand router templates that I sell. I have a steep learning curve ahead to be able to be able to actually get into building bodies and especially necks (which are actually the most gratifying part of Hand-Built guitars). The “analog” method of going from a PDF layout and accurately transferring it to wood, then making multiple copies without degradation is soooo labor and time-intensive… I am looking forward to being able to convert all these PDF to svg and turn out repeatable partz

That said, I will also be adding more spec bodies and even tube amp boards to my online sales presence, so this machine has its work cut out for it… (see what I did there?)

Not my pic…

But you cut the channel for the binding, inside the profile. The inlay the abs or celluloid in the channel and flood with acetone.

Move the cut to outside the profile, the cut the body, trimming the binding flush in the same action

Also not my pic…

It is an alternative to this ^^^^