Show and tell: X-Carve assembly! [not troubleshooting]

Another foot on top of what the instructions say for the shorter stepper cables would be good, too.

2 Likes

Steve,
Your right, found it here just now, this is starting to look like a one stop shop for just about everything.
enter link description here

@LorenLagasse was all of your wiring done with the sock “included” wire that comes with the X-Carve or did you use your own and extend what was recommended…?

Did you have the extra cable to do that @ChrisWundram?

No, I used all that came with the kit.

Ok, thanks for that @ChrisWundram. I may go get some more before starting the wiring… Would you recommend any other lengths of cable of which to get extra?

Used only the included wiring. The only extras were the terminals,heat shrink, zip-tie holders and wire wrap.

1 Like

Cool. The reason why I ask is that I thought I read somewhere on the forum that there was only enough cable/wire to keep the electronics box 5-6 inches from the X-carve. With what you did, it looks like you have a couple feet or more to work with.

Looks good Travis. I see you made your own waste board. Did you use the Easel project from the forum or did you do something else?

Has anyone put their Y-Axis carriage drag chain such that the wires exit out the back? Just curious, thinking about doing this so I can have a bit of a cleaner set up.

@WilliamPaukert it looks like the 1000mm machine comes with plenty of wire. My 500mm only had enough for the 5-6" space between the machine when I used the cable lengths mentioned in the instructions (I even added an inch or two to each cable for safety). I ended up with about 7" of cable left over. Had I known I would have used some of that to add a couple more inches on the X/Y/Z cables.

@Rusty I’ll be flipping that drag chain when I redo my wiring. Having the wires coming off the front of the machine seems really odd to me.

Let us know how that goes! I’m pretty sure that’s what I’ll do, I think it will keep the wires more out of the way.

trim.98E970CB-9CA5-48B4-B219-5D062E611594.MOV (1.3 MB)

1 Like

Here are a few shots of my progress so far:

3 Likes

Looking very nice on the wiring

1 Like

wow, it’s amazing what 22 bottles of 5 hour energy will do for you! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve seen this one answered so far, but if it has been, please bear with me: What gauge wire is this using? I’d like to make sure I have sufficient spades and heat-shrink on hand before I start wiring, instead of having to make a hardware store run in the middle of the job!

I used the small red 22/18 spade connectors for all of my connections and that size seemed to work well. For heat shrink tubing I had an assortment kit I used, but mainly 1/4".

I also used some 3/8" expandable wire sleeve when I had to combine multiple wires and to cover the spindle power cable.

Blair

Awesome, thanks, Blair! I’ll make sure I’ve got a good stock of them in hand before my kit shows up. I like the look of that wire braid, so I think I’ll pick up some of that as well.