Show and tell: X-Carve assembly! [not troubleshooting]

Cool!

You’ll want to add some screws to the back of the clamps so that you can level them with your workpiece. :wink:

What was the belt issue? Did it come loose or did it stretch? Did you notice the markings on the belt before you installed it? I’ve been wondering if they are imports (made of ??) or Gates (kevlar).

So in my case, I have the original belt on the X-axis that came with the kit. I mistakenly cut the lengths for the 500mm version when I have the 1000mm. I purchased replacement belts which went on the two Y-axis sides. With that said, it appeared that there was slippage. I only say that because I do not see any signs of stretching.

These reinforced belts should not stretch.

Certainly no expert here Tony but belt slippage can sometimes be the actual V-wheels to tight or too loose. Be sure they are snug to the rail (roll when you move the carriage, yet allow the carriage to glide evenly. Also be sure your two Y rails and the double maker slide are perfectly parallel. measure across each side and adjust Y rails on the waste board extrusion. X (the double Maker Slide) has one set of holes that can be adjusted. A little bit of resistance on either of these could cause the belt to skip or stretch under tension enough to throw off your spindle.

Don- good feedback. I found the slippage issue about 1.5 hours into the project run. I did the tune up and measurement checks for square prior to the run. As this is more of a show and tell category, I can shift the belt discussion to another category if it helps. I will keep an eye on the belts next time when I can make the next project.

Looks great William, I’m starting to drool a little with one so close now.
( lives 1.8 miles away )
I have a ton of 1/4" ply drops starting to pile up, I’m sure mine is a few weeks out still.

Thanks for coming up to GeekSpace, it was nice to meet you guys.

1 Like

@ScottKelley Thanks for having us. We enjoyed meeting and will have to come out again sometime soon.

I’m one step closer on the electronics. Everything is powered up and I have the Smoothieboard connected to the DQ860MA external stepper drivers.

1 Like

My creation station under way.

2 Likes

I’m about to cut the secondary wasteboard out

2 Likes

@PeterJames, can you send a pic of your droopy drag chain from the back?

Mines the same way Jeff maybe not quite as bad but it only sits an inch off the material almost ran it into a clamp bolt

@JeffTalbot Here are some pics. I expect that I have one of the drag chain brackets on incorrectly or something. The interesting thing is if I support just one of the vertebrae coming off from the bottom connection point, then the entire chain will lift up. At this point it’s probably easier for me to retrofit a support in there, rather than re-do my wiring.

Full chain: (there’s about 1.5" of material on my wasteboard, I think when it’s just the wasteboard the chain sits maybe 1/2" above it at the lowest point)

Top:

Bottom:

Looks like you have bidirectional chain links.

I went back out and took a closer look at my X and Y chains. On my X chain (pictured), I have the short adapter on top, and the long one on the bottom, and I have them reversed on my Y. Since the Y is already resting on the table, I can’t tell if it would have the same problem, but I expect it wouldn’t.

When looking at the top view photo of the 1000 on X-Carves home page you have you X axis drag chain is rotated 90 degrees. It should lay horizontal.

Dave

The main-page image is horizontal, but, the instructions show it vertical. :confounded:

The mounting point clip is upside down.

Hi,
I’d prefer the second solution on mine …
But it seems to have one more part on the X carriage to keep the chain in place?

Hi Peter,

Yeah, you have the drag chain ends reversed. The “male” end should be mounted on the back of the spindle, and the “female” end should be mounted on the side plate.

Jeff