Show us your machine setup

IMG_20191213_153748661|666x500

Finally got my pictures to upload. 750mm and 1000mm

2 Likes

1 Like

Looks good. I am getting ready to assemble my second one.

2 Likes

This looks like a Real workshop.

1 Like

My Shop is the back part of an industrial flex space. Of the 2,400 sf in the suite, the back warehouse area is about 1,000 sf and 24’ to the roof. There is a big rolling door and man door in the back wall. My “shop” takes about 400 - 500 sf of space, depending on what else is going on. In the left foreground is a large bench with storage, and two parked motorcycles. The x-carve table is in the corner of the room in the center of the photo. To the right of the x-carve is a CNC vertical mill I built this year. The benches are Ikea base cabinets on top of rolling sleds. I can move the benches around in any configuration I want in the space.

To the right is the table saw and then the dust extractor, connected along the wall to the main dust & chip-making tools through a 4" PVC line on the wall.

The X-Carve is a 1-meter model that I built a rolling table for out of 80/20-Faztek material. The little notebook computer was a $99 referb job from NewEgg - dedicated to the system. I designed and 3-d printed the dust collector that slips over the Dewalt. I store all of the wood along the wall behind the table. I leave the caster on the leg in the foreground locked and pivot the table out on that point

The table is good for storing clamps, tools and shim materials on the upper shelf, and flat stock on the bottom shelf. The X-Controller sits on the upper shelf to the left of the computer.

The CNC Milling Machine was a spring 2019 project. I took a Precision Matthews 2 HP mill and converted it to a CNC mill. Replaced the lead screws with ball screws using a kit, installed servo motors to drive the table and mast (Teknic Stepper-Killers) and built the controls box around a Centroid Acorn board.

This view is from the other side of the bench looking at both machines. The blue toolbox is all of the tooling for the mill.

I am in an independent engineer that specializes in material handling, robotics, and logistics operations. For part of my business I do practical R&D work, which the shop supports.

4 Likes

Super nice setup. Nice job on the vertical cnc.

Yes TBD CNC is still in business. Ordered 2in riser, stiffeners and the Z slider today. And I haven’t even put my xcarve together yet. Figures upgrade now and it will be easier.

Wayne Hall I’ve never seen those side skirts like that. Makes so much sense to keep the dust off the belt track and pulleys. I’m gonna have to make some!

1 Like

Just simple sheet good material whatever you happen to have laying around.

not a stock machine, but all parts were made with the old shapeoko :slight_smile:

running this one :
x and Y
320 steps /mm
max feedrate 6000mm/min

for Z axis
800steps/mm
max feedrate 2500mm/min

4 Likes