Sideboard Dilema

I just opened up my second upgrade box and took a look at the side board. I have my new controller mounted to the table that the X-Carve sits on. Is this the only function of the side board? Lots of hardware to hold a metal box. Just wondering if there’s any other “feature” that may be useful to me??

The only other real benefit that I have found so far is that I was able to tuck the wires under the sideboard… gets them hidden out of the way…

It hides the wires very nicely! And just that for me makes it worth it. Mind you I’m an OCD freak when it comes to wires. They got to be nice and hidden. It also has a few other threaded holes. I’m thinking it will be for the relay box inventables is supposedly working on.

As an upgrade, not sure how useful it is. The old Xcarve drag chain is different than the new one and I don’t know if the old one can be adapted to work with the sideboard like the new one does. I just put mine to the side and didn’t use it but then again, my table wasn’t wide enough for it either.

I built my own table to hold the X-Carve and am constantly modifying it for things like wire routes, outlets, etc… So the sideboard really isn’t going to be much use to me.

1 Like

I’m glad to find this thread. I hope to order my X-Carve in a few weeks and was wondering if the sideboard was really needed in my situation. I plan to attach my X-Carve to a table I will build. It looks like I will be able to attach my electronics to my table rather than a sideboard. If anyone sees a problem with this, please let me know.

1 Like

Its really not necessary if you’re going to mount the controller to the table (as I did)

1 Like

That’s what I did. Sacrificial work surface attaches to torsion box table.

1 Like