Simple way to increase rigidity

I tried an easy way to increase the rigidity of the double cross beam that the spindle move on in the X direction. The improvement is quite noticeable. I essentially just bolted the two extrusions together with spacers in between to maintain their spacing. Use 2" machine screws with nylock nuts in three locations

I used automotive body shims… One 1/8" and two 1/32" in each location Add washers on the screws that hold the bracket for the wiring channel because those screws protrude through and would hit the locknuts Mark the location of the limit switch and remove the two screws that secure the switch as they too will interfere. Secure the switch with automotive-grade double sided tape ( which has some give if you mash the limit switch against its stop. I didn’t do any scientific study of the reduction in rotational deflection of the beam but the benefit will be noticeable.

1 Like

Looks good…I still need to stiffen mine up.

I had hard plastic sheet, it was perfect thickness. Cut three pieces and used flat head screws. Nice to see someone else found cheaper and easier way to do this. The target is holding two maker slides together. No need for “steel” plate. Good job.
I call this Rigidity without compromising. I didn’t have to take Maker slide off. I removed Cable out, put cable back after finish. No complex procedure. As always I keep it simple, always the winner.
Lazy Engineer.

1 Like

yeah i agree, the steel plate is probably overkill. should be able to do this while the machine is together as well

1 Like