Sketchup SVG Export Plugin for Inkscape

Hey folks,

I’m working on a Limbert tabouret Sketchup model for @Zach_Kaplan’s DIRESTA Wood Stool challenge. I’m having trouble finding where you export the face as an SVG. I can export a PNG of the model, but that’s not really the point of what I’m trying to do. Anybody have any experience with the FlightOfIdeasSVG.rbz plugin?

Ha! I’m getting tempermental…:angry:

Same I could never get it to work correctly. I think you can do the same thing inside TinkerCAD without a plugin.

I fired up TinkerCAD and it only accepts STL or SVG files, so I’m back where I started. Thanks for the pointer though! I’ll have to give it a whirl anyway.

This video may help, he explains how to select the faces and export an SVG

CNC Workflow: SketchUp, MakerCam, Universal Gcode Sender

I’ll have to try it when I get home

I just downloaded SketchUp Make 2016 and the FlightOfIdeasSVG.rbz plugin

selected the faces of the parts, right clicked and save as SVG no problem

Thanks @GlennMDutcher! I downloaded the new version and it worked. Will work on the SVG tonight. SWEET! :sunglasses:

Easel needs to get into the 3D editing game this is getting ridiculous.

:scream:

2 Likes

Zack,
Is that a hint?

Not sure what to say Angus? I did it on my work machine and my home machine and it worked fine both times.

After installing the plugin, and loading the model, click on the red SVG and it opens a dialog box. This is new (to me) for the 2016 version.

I was ironically able to then export the faces from SVG/Inkscape into a DXF (Save As => Desktop Cutting Plotter) to make even more changes! MUAH HA HAAA!!!

How do you install the SVG plugin in Sketchup 2016 Pro? I found the link, just can’t seem to figure out what to do with it. This is the link I made it to. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8oqOhQksyrDc0d5YVN1UUZ5cWM/edit

I Googled it. Found this in the documentation and followed the directions. It only takes a minute, assuming it works. Good luck!

SketchUp and .rbz files
The SketchUp 8 and newer allow you to install zipped Ruby files (.rbz) from within the product. If your plugin has a standard (.zip) extension, then you can just change the extension name from .zip to .rbz.

To install a SketchUp Ruby plugin script with the .rbz format:

We recommend logging into your computer as an admin before installing any Ruby scripts. This will make the installation go more smoothly and ensure that files get installed in the proper places.
Select Window > Preferences (Microsoft Windows) or SketchUp > Preferences (Mac OS X). The Preferences dialog box is displayed.
Click on Extensions. The Extensions panel is displayed.
Click on the Install Extension button. The Open dialog box is displayed.
Locate the Ruby zip file to install (.rbz).
Click on the Open button. The Ruby plugin appears in the list of extensions.

Thanx! I will try it and record my results.

“Locate the Ruby zip file to install (.rbz).
Click on the Open button.” This refers to the downloads folder in your computer’s explorer or file viewer.

I used the browse feature in the Sketchup extention installer to pull the files from my downloads folder. That worked.