Sketchup to Easel?

Hello all,

I am trying to find an easy way to make some drawings and then to send this to Easel
But I feel not very comfortable with using the CAM section from Autodesk Fusion 360 as it will crate only a NC file for a GCODE way.

Can I use Sketchup to transfer drawings to Easel and to finalize is it from there? I find Skechtup very useful and easy to use. I found different youtube videos to use Inkscape the SVG generator for Autodesk Fusion , but I am. now more confused as before, For this reason I am trying to find an was way to make drawings and to use this later in EASEL

Hope someone can help me. I am just trying to forward this to my easel, but feeling not comfortable as I said with the CAM section in Autodesk Fusion

Thanks in advance

regards

Since you say you are using Fusion 360 already. I would recommend watching this video and see if the tool path tutorial makes any sense to you after watching.

they have done a really great job in explaining the steps.

Just scroll down to the video part and read the tutorial.

Thank you for the link.
I watched this video before. And now again , It is really helpful if you have a design ready to send to EASEL, but some of the specific design functions within Fusion 360 is to difficult to use for me right now, It seems I have to spend some time to learn the program , or find another way to make a design on another program like sketchup. I could use Sketchup more precise as I work regularly with it. I had a hope that this will be also possible to use this for my CNC work :wink:

Thanks

T.Pruefer

@T.Pruefer Export as a dxf and import into Easel. You may have issues with splines or curves, but it’ll get you really close. If you want to share the file, I can help with more detail.

HI all,

I am back again. I followed your recommendation to export my project to a DXF file. First I created an easy drawing in the freeware Draftsight (similar to Autodesk Autcad, but for free) and saved the file in DXF format.

Now I imported the file to Easel, It works very good, but . Now I have one small issue , may be you can help me with this how I can manage it.

I also attached my DXF file, in case you want to follow my issue what I have with EASEL.
After my import of the DXF file, I had to manage several lines to decide if the router should cut inside or outside. which I managed finally.

Now my question is how can I explain EASEl to cut the red area 4mm depth (total material should be 8mm. I have to lines with 5 mm distance in between.

Is in the dxf file a mistake which I need to generate my original drawing in another way, or how can I explain within EASEL to run several paths inside the red area that I have 5mm a depth of 4mm.

Absaugung_Fuss.dxf (93.1 KB)

Attached is my DXF file.

May be I should learn to work with Autodesk fusion 360 ;- ) which looks easier to handle the transfer of the drawings to carve my projects.

Hope someone can help me.

Hi,

Could you share your Easel project link? Do this by going to File / Share in Easel and then click “Shared with link” and copy/paste the link here.

Of course, I just found the function:

Here the link:
http://easel.inventables.com/projects/IqK8SDaiTdFgdB5sYa-hwQ

Thanks. I think the problem is that the 2 concentric shapes that you want to fill between are not closed lines. They are 4 separate line segments that are next to each other. Easel does not currently have a feature to connect line segments that are close to each other. This topic might be helpful: Closing dxf file loops-need help converting [SOLVED] - #2 by B.F

Once those 2 shapes are closed, you can make them “Fill” shapes in Easel, set the inner one to a depth of 0, and combine them.

Russel, Jeff,

thank you both for your support.

I will now install Inkscape as well to start to try to connect my lines.

On the other side it was now useful to get also the drawing imported from Russel in the right way.

As soon I managed the Inkscape way to count the lines, I will let you know here again.

Thanks

1 Like

OK,

now finally I managed it with both of your explanation and the video with Inkscape about the DXF file,

Here the result.

Again big thanks to everyone.

But honestly , I thought that EASEL could do this … Anyway…

One comment in general. I need to many different programs to use EASEL at the end,

You’re welcome, what is that going to be? Good luck with your project and if you need something else just let me know.
Thanks
Russell Crawford

Looks like a dust shoe?
@T.Pruefer, was the original design made in SketchUp?

That’s what it looks like but I was wondering how it would attach to the X-Carve.
Thanks Russell

Hello,

yes it is true . It is a dust shoe. I was looking for a solution to look during the carving inside the area, which was not possible in most of the solution which I found. SO for this reason I found one in the §D print world.

All of the parts you can print with a 3D printer or of course you can design it with wood and the dust shoe itself would be out of acrylic :wink: . Which looks very similar to the suckit design.

Here the link from the Thinkserve website which I used to download the files.

There are different files , but I was not able to change the hole for the dust connection , I wanted only 35mm instead of the big hole which was originally in.

May be there is an easier way to use one of the files.

Let me know if so.

Hope this helps you as well.

NOTE: I just added out of my workshop this infomration. WHich bit you would use to cut this acrylic out ? I am now using the 1/8 inch Upcut bit from inventables. If I am right , I am not using the recommended speed , do you have also some sugestion for me ? with the plunge rate, feed rate and depth per path ?

regards

1 Like