Small saw for CNC use

I’ve recently added a new tool to my CNC arsenal that might be of use to others. I use the Carvey, so sometimes look longingly at the much larger X-Carve workspace. My world is limited to 8” x 12”, so have to cut down just about any material I purchase. While I have a circular saw, I struggle to get the nice straight cuts that a table saw provides. I get friends with full workshops to cut stock occasionally, but really needed my own solution.

I came across the Skil Flooring Saw.

Skil flooring saw 3601-02

It can cross cut up to about 15” and can even rip to a certain degree. I am limited to ¾” thickness, but that works ok for most of my needs. I did change out the 36 tooth contractor blade with a 40 tooth finish blade. It cuts wood and acrylic like butter and leaves nice smooth, straight edges. Just set it on a table for use and when finished, pick it up by its built-in handle and store it in the closet on its side. I got into CNC through computers and engraving rather than woodworking and don’t really want/need a dedicated workshop, so this is a perfect tool for me. I also like that the blade seems well guarded and safer (for me) than an open table saw. Cost about $130 at Lowes.

1 Like

that is pretty sweet. i have a nice table saw, and a Mitre saw… or i’d look into them

Yo, I would not pull the trigger on that. Check craigslist, people get rid of table saws all the time. I paid $50 for a contractor saw, then just build a good sled and you can rip/crosscut fine.

2 Likes

a friend of mine made his own table saw with an old circular saw, it was quite an easy project, he just adapted his work bench so he could mount it underneath. It does the job and detaches when not needed. Might be an alternative…

1 Like

Vaid points, but I think the line "[quote=“GeorgeSholl, post:1, topic:37153”]
I got into CNC through computers and engraving rather than woodworking and don’t really want/need a dedicated workshop, so this is a perfect tool for me.
[/quote
kind of got missed there, a full sized table saw does tend to need the workspace to go with it. Also, the O.P. stated that ripping was a small issue so a cross cut sled really doesnt apply.

For his situation I would suggest a benchtop table saw. Though bigger than what was originally proposed, it can be stowed easily in a small space and has the limited capability of handling larger stock and does a decent job of ripping as well. And as one’s needs may grow it can be worked into a workstation for increased utility.
www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_17?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=benchtop+table+saw&sprefix=benchtop+tablesaw%2Caps%2C162&crid=VJD84C8AE5Z0

1 Like

It really depends on the individual. A hobbyist using an X-Carve to do projects who doesn’t have space for, or want a table saw, what he’s looking at is perfect. It makes small pieces of wood smaller so they fit on the cnc. If he wants the higher end, and precision he can get from the cnc itself, then something like the Proxxon PROXXON - FET would be equally perfect.

All good points from everyone. I know that this saw won’t replace a table saw for those that need one, but for me, it answers about 90% of my needs, easy to set up and use, and takes up almost no storage space. I actually have a small table saw still in its box (I should put it on craig’s list!), but it doesn’t fit the need like the little flooring saw. I chuckle a little when I re-read the original post that I should have prefaced the whole thing by saying - I don’t want a table saw. I have a suspicion that it’s the same reason I have a Carvey rather than an xCarve.

(I should also say that while in the USAF, I used some of the best equipped woodworking hobby shops in the country and was trained/certified to use all the equipment.)

I have found a couple of small drawbacks in that unlike a table saw, the blade height and bevel on this one can’t be adjusted so you can’t do some traditional table saw operations like rabbet cuts. It does have a very effective vacuum port for hooking up a shopvac, but when I use outside, I just let the chips fly.

In any case, I had no known about this type of saw until recently and thought I’d share my experiences.

1 Like

I’ve actually had that exactly flooring saw since 2011 and it helped me rebuild my first house twice after flooding (thankfully the house was demolished and is now a park).

It’s actually a very versatile little saw and very capable of cutting hardwood, engineered hardwood, laminate flooring, and any type of tile you want to cut.

{:0)

Brandon

1 Like