Software Frustration Overload

I’ve had my X-Carve for about 3 weeks and after so much anticipation and enjoyment from building it has sat unused after a couple of small initial projects. Easel appears very limited and trying to figure out what combination of programs to use by browsing this forum is like going from 3rd grade straight into college. I know people are trying to help and are just speaking what they know but most of the software topics are so far over my head that it’s impossible to learn anything. I wish Inventables had some sort of educational track to follow but I guess at this point they are using all of their resources just to ship machines. It makes me sad to think that I may never master this machine, especially after so much anticipation, but my outlook isn’t very hopeful. If anyone has any 3rd grade level advice please post a reply or I fear that my next post might be in the For Sale section.

3 Likes

Dan

It would help the forum community if you listed issues you are having with your machine. Also any photos you can provide would also help.
There are folk here that know the machine inside and out. There are folks that know CAD and CAM inside and out.
If some one tells you something that is totally Greek to you ask for a translation.

CNC has a fairly steep learning curve and if you are in the 3rd grade of your learning you have a ways to go but you can do it, one grade at a time.

I’ve been using CNC for a long time now and I am still not at the top of the curve.

hope this helps

Dave

What types of projects are you attempting to do? That would help try and narrow down the type of software you need.

Dan, I understand. I felt overwhelmed at first also. What saved me was finding the Vcarve software from Vectric http://www.vectric.com/

Their software is very intuitive and easy to learn, Seriously if you watch the getting started tutorial video you will be able to create a design and the toolpath (gocde) needed to carve it in under an hour.

I purchased the Vcarve Desktop program for $350. I really did not want to spend money on software when I purchased the X-Carve, but after being so frustrated with the free software and the steep learning curves that they required I knew I needed to do something.

Vectric has a really great free trial you can download and play with. It has no time limit and will let you create any design you want. But you can only generate toolpaths for their sample projects. But it is more than enough to see if you are going to like it.

---- Edit ----

I know it looks like an advertisement for Vcarve, but I do not have any ties to the company. I am just a very happy customer that appreciates quality software! Seriously the week after getting Vcarve I went from wondering what I was going to do with my $1,000 toy to trying to figure out how I was going to find enough time to make all the things I just discovered I could do with it.

3 Likes

I agree with @AllenMassey. Look at the V-Carve tutorial videos. VERY well done and much of the learning translates to other systems and programs. Plus the guy is British, sounds like John Oliver and uses words like, “zed” for zero but all of his projects are in inches for some strange reason… very entertaining.

2 Likes

Dan,
You’ve received some good replies already, but if you would let the community know your general location, there may be a member nearby that could give you some hands on training. I’m pretty much a newbie myself, but if you are anywhere near central or North West Indiana, I’d certainly be willing to have you stop by.

–Rick

@DanWard

Do you have experience with any graphic design software?

When I was deciding whether to buy a CNC machine, I looked at various options mentioned in installation documentation for my Shapeoko2 and other sources. One pathway mentioned was InkScape and MakerCAM, both free and both work. Then, I learned about SketchUp (which I have used for years) and SketUcam; which I used for a few items. I was looking for more than what Easel can provide and an easier path, so I ended up buying Vectric VCarve Desktop and am a happy camper.

If it is any help, confidence wise, I knew nothing about CNC when I started my X-Carve build a couple of months ago. In fact, the only thing I was familiar with was building/writing software for Arduino and swinging a hammer.

Once I built the machine, I spent lots of time in Easel without cutting anything and over time as confidence increased, I started cutting material, trying different types of milling bits, different materials etc.

Took a couple of months to get to the point I can clamp down material, add a milling bit, throwing a project together and have a finished item/parts in less than an hour. But it does take time.

Two months later I’m now also able to push a laser around, know how to hand edit the gcode for it, have a good understanding of feed rates against material/milling bit type etc.

Stick with it, it really is very rewarding. But do note, breaking milling bits, destroying materials, crashing the machine into rail ends etc. is all part of the learning process. :smile:

Cheers

Ian

@IanWatkins

Ian, don’t know your background so forgive me if you already know:

You need to be extremely careful using a cutting laser. It’s very easy to damage your eyes. If you know the safety issues then pardon my intrusion.

Yes, I’m very aware Larry, and have lots of safety in place, but no need to apologise. You never know if someone else isn’t aware of risks so never hurts to remind them. Actually, some people who should know better could do with the odd reminder now and then :smile:

Cheers

Ian

I also had issue with the limitations of Easel, and chose to give V-carve a try. WOW was it much easier! I am still learning of course, but I have succeeded in milling my holes in my own waste board on a 2" grid, and have surfaced same using a 1/2" standard 1/4 shank router bit with a Quiet Cut spindle ( collet inserts being interchangeable are awesome) Next step is to put my threaded inserts in and then mill some work clamps and jigs. I am also using Universal G-Code Sender to get the G-Code to the machine…

1 Like

What happened to DanWard, he doesn’t say anything, disappeared. He trow one small rack into water well, everyone trying to get it out. :slight_smile:

LOL I have no idea, maybe he went out of town already… oh well, he will have lots of replies when he gets back I suppose.

1 Like

Now it’s time to talk socks.

2 Likes

I just bought another dozen pair of white athletic socks! Gold toe this time.

3 Likes

My two cents here. I have made an effort to learn fusion 360 and it is paying off. I’m unemployed with a medical condition and built an x-carve as a way to stave off boredom and maybe make small amounts of money.

The outlay for the machine was almost my whole budget so I had to learn on the free stuff. The integration of CAM into 360 is pretty good and I get great Gcode straight out of it.

I hope to document my first proper project very soon.

3 Likes

Holy smokes! that is a lot of replies! I posted this at work and then went to the movies with my wife so I had no idea so many people had posted. First of all let me say thank you to everyone for trying to help. I have read every post and will try to answer every question in this post instead of many replies.

1. I am not having any problems with my X-Carve hardware. It took me almost 2 full days to assemble but other than a few minor fixes and adjustments the machine seems to perform as intended.

2. I am not stuck on a particular project because I have no idea how to start anything beyond the simple projects on the Inventables site.

3. I do have a few projects that I would like to eventually get into, most involving board game inserts and making my own Pitchcar tracks (google it if you don’t know what Pitchcar is. Very fun game). The problem is I don’t know where to begin. I also wanted to make a dust shoe and even ordered some of the needed parts like the brush and magnets and a dust deputy but I wouldn’t dare try to mill a $50 piece of acrylic at this point.

4. I live in Morgantown, WV which is about 90 minutes due south of Pittsburgh.

5. I did look into the VCarve software a little and it did appear to be more user friendly but I have to admit the $350 price tag concerned me. I can afford it (in for a penny in for a pound right?) but I was hesitant to pour more cash into this project in case it wasn’t the solution I was looking for.

6. What the heck is Gcode anyway? I’m confused at all the different software combinations everyone talks about. If I have VCarve then why do I need another program to send gcode? VCarve software can’t talk directly to the XCarve?

7. My background is IT but on the network side not coding. I am also an avid DIYer when it comes to home repairs and basic auto problems (oil, brakes etc…) but I am a complete noob when it comes to CNC.

Please feel free to address any of those topics you are inclined to. Again, thank you to everybody who posted. Seeing this response gives me some hope that I’ll get this figured out eventually.

Dan

I put answers just after your questions, I hope puts a little help to your problems.

1. I am not having any problems with my X-Carve hardware. It took me almost 2 full days to assemble but other than a few minor fixes and adjustments the machine seems to perform as intended.
    Glad to hear that. You may have minor issues but we’re always here to help each other, until get it straight.

2. I am not stuck on a particular project because I have no idea how to start anything beyond the simple projects on the Inventables site.
    You need to source how to draw objects and create signs, parts ETC. you can start with InkScape which is free.

3. I do have a few projects that I would like to eventually get into, most involving board game inserts and making my own Pitchcar tracks (google it if you don’t know what Pitchcar is. Very fun game). The problem is I don’t know where to begin. I also wanted to make a dust shoe and even ordered some of the needed parts like the brush and magnets and a dust deputy but I wouldn’t dare try to mill a $50 piece of acrylic at this point.
    You’re correct on this. Just straight things up first, start carving simple designs, when you’re comfortable, you can do more.

4. I live in Morgantown, WV which is about 90 minutes due south of Pittsburgh.
    I live South East. Lawrenceville, GA.

5. I did look into the VCarve software a little and it did appear to be more user friendly but I have to admit the $350 price tag concerned me. I can afford it (in for a penny in for a pound right?) but I was hesitant to pour more cash into this project in case it wasn’t the solution I was looking for.
    VCarve worth of money for each penny you pay for. It is awesome program and easy to learn, most of us start designing within couple of hours. You can go ahead and download Trial version of Vcarve and no time limit on it. www.vectric.com. (I’m not the seller, have no business with this people)

6. What the heck is Gcode anyway? I’m confused at all the different software combinations everyone talks about. If I have VCarve then why do I need another program to send gcode? VCarve software can’t talk directly to the XCarve?
    GCode is the machine language which your X-Carve can understand. No matter which Drawing application you’re using, you must use that software’s capability to generate Gcode. Other name is Tool Path. Several options to send GCode to machine and they’re free to public.

7. My background is IT but on the network side not coding. I am also an avid DIYer when it comes to home repairs and basic auto problems (oil, brakes etc…) but I am a complete noob when it comes to CNC.
    You IT background is only helps you to understand communication between your PC and Machine. But DIYer is the key word. You have winning ticket.

So these are all I can answer for now. Rest is easy. My suggestion is, on this forum you can put any question mark in your mind into search (You can see on top right corner) it comes in front of you. Those are previous discussions about multiple issues. Further questions, just type here, and please wait little longer to see how people trying to help you.

Cheers.

1 Like

question 3 Don’t cut it the first time in you acrylic. Put a piece of cheap 1/4" MDF down and cut it in that first. Then cut it a second time in another piece of MDF to make sure nothing changed. Before you make any cuts in acrylic ask here on the forum for help deciding what cutter, spindle speed, feed speed, plunge speed etc should be for the machine you have. If you have upgraded from the stock spindle we need to know that. Then folks that have been at this from months to years can help.

question 6 Gcode. Generally speaking programs you use to design your projects are some form of CAD program. This can range from Easel a simple program up to SolidWorks a very expensive program that they use to design space craft with.
These programs only do the design work in general.
Once you have a design then you load that design file into a CAM (computer aided machining) program and then tell the program about your machine and what you want to do to the design. You tell it to cut pockets here and there and drill holes here and there and machine profiles inside or outside depending. If you have advanced to doing 3D machining that is a whole different can of worms.
Once you have built all the different operations and toolpaths in the CAM program you ask the program to use a post processor to generate the Gcode your control software understands. This can take any thing from the blink of an eye so several seconds depending on how complex it is.

Now you have a Gcode file with any thing from a few lines of code to several thousand lines of code again depending on how complex your part is.
The Cam program just writes the Gcode it can not do any thing with it.

This is where your control software comes into the picture. You take the Gcode and load it into your control software. There are several control software programs out there. From basic to very complex.

Once you have your code into the control software and you have set the machine up for that job and set you homing and your work off set zeros loaded a tool bit loaded your material you are ready to cut. But wait do I want to cut that $30.00 piece of walnut with code I don’t know will do what I want it to to that piece of expensive wood. NO so take the tool bit out of the spindle and run what we call an air cut. no tool so no destroyed material. Program runs correctly then cut the material.

CNC is a complex process but even people new to CNC can master it. Will it happen over night no. I’ve been doing CNC machining for years and I am still not at the top of the learning curve. Keep studying and learning and you will be able to make all the things your machine is capable of making.

Long winded reply to your questions Hope this helps

Dave

2 Likes

I would start by first checking out a few videos on youtube about …

INKSCAPE. It is a free vector drawing program ( lines represent paths that your bit will follow) this is where you “Draw” the basic shapes you will then cut out.

• once you have your basic shapes… you will save them in an SVG file format.
    EASEL. this is the basic free tool that inventables provides for the x-carve. under file select “import svg” and easel will load the shapes that you created in inkscape… set your cut depth (you can do this inside inkscape). bit size, and cut.

the is the easiest tool chain that you can do for free. The trick is getting to learn inkscape. But there are great walkthrough videos on youtube to teach you the basics.

Sketchup is another free 3d program that is pretty easy to learn, has lots of video tutorials online that will help you construct projects and model them up.

I would start

1 Like