[Solved] Error in generating path for text

I’m trying to engrave a plaque with text. I’ve been using Easel for months for other things, but have never done text before. Both the preview and the carving always have an error that sends the spindle way off to the right. Looking at the preview, this erroneous part of the path seems to be right after carving the last character of the text. Unfortunately, that’s not the last character to be carved - about half of the text is missing. I though there might be a special character at the end that was causing the problem, but that does not seem to be the case. No matter what I do, it always generates this error in the path. Any ideas?

Are you importing it from Inkscape? Can you share the Easel project with us?

1 Like

Not imported - created in Easel. Here’s the design: http://easel.inventables.com/projects/ITABqRbpXywbSYyfrj-GuA

If you ‘show toolpath’, you’ll find some junk (text?) WAY, WAY off to the right.

Yes, that’s what I meant by “preview”. So how do I get rid of it? There is nothing in the design but the text box.

I looked at it and it seems to get a little crazy because of the small size of the material and bit.

I re-entered al the text and it seems to work for me. Are you making each line a different text box or are you hitting return and continue to type the quote? I made each line separate and then centered them on the vertical axis. Not sure it makes a difference though.

Here is my copy of it.

Jason

1 Like

Thanks, Jason. Yes, I did it all in one text box. I probably won’t have time tonight, but I’ll try your version tomorrow.

Greg

1 Like

I’m still very new to all of this, so I may be way off. But, playing around with your version a little more, it seems like it is a wrapping issue with the text. The text box seems like it goes on for infinity, so breaking it off on each line seems to take care of it.

Good luck,

Jason

1 Like

Jason, that worked perfectly. I changed your version back to the font I wanted and adjusted the sizes a bit, all of which produced finer lines, but did not result in any errors. So the key seems to be just having each line of text be a separate object.

Thanks,
Greg

1 Like

Cool, I’m glad it worked for you.

Jason