[Solved] OSX Connect with machine

Also my arduino is now showing up in my USB tree. Not sure what this means, but it’s different than yesterday.

Jason,
Have you reset the SMC or PRAM? That can make a big difference because it refreshes everything.
Reverting is a process that takes much time and pretty much requires a backup pre El Captain.
I tried El C… and did not care for it as it was, I notice it is at .2 already.
Or, if you don’t dare if your hard drive is wiped clean you can install 10.10.5 providing you have a source, if not let me know and I will send you a link to download it.

I had tried resetting smc and pram earlier, but I tried again with no luck.

Support asked me to reflash grbl to the arduino. I went through those steps and nothing appears to have changed.

Would you send me a link for Yosemite? Also maybe a good tutorial on wiping the hard drive. I’ve never done that and it intimidates me a bit. I’m not worried about losing data, it was a new machine to me and I have nothing on it.

I will research it tonight. I’m working night shift so I won’t be around me machine until tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jason

Have you tried downloading and running something like UGS (Universal Gcode Sender)? If you have does that work where Easel does not?

Just trying to narrow down possible causes.

Also, make sure you aren’t running anything like NoScript or Adblock on your browsers. They’ll cause Easel not to be able to communicate with the X-Carve, or just act funky as well.

Mike,
I have tried ugcs and it won’t communicate with it either. I don’t believe Noscript or Adblock are installed, but I’ll check.

Thanks for the help,
Jason

I think you can take it to the Apple Store and they will do a factory reset and flash the OS to bring it back to how the OS is set up when you buy it.

That might fix the problem.

Ok. I’ll do that if I can’t get it back to Yosemite. I’ve watched a few videos and it seems pretty straight forward to do a clean install using an 8gb thumb drive.

Jason

Ok, so it’s an OSX thing, not an Easel thing. I’m curious what changed, because I haven’t had any problems since ElCapitan dropped officially, but it wasn’t working for me during the beta.

@rodovich or @paulkaplan changed a few things in the local sender between the El Capitan Beta and the launch.

Since he can’t get UGS to connect either and his other computer connects it seems like an issue in the computer.

I must have a serious problem with my computer. Daniel gave a copy of Yosemite and I cannot get it downloaded. I finally got a copy downloaded on my main mac in the house and put a bootable copy on the usb and it won’t load either. I have friend bringing me a known good copy on another usb on Saturday to try to upload. My internet is so slow that downloading the copy from dropbox or the one from apple might be getting corrupted.

I got El Capitan installed for the moment again and thought I would try once more getting my x-carve connected. I have the same issues as before, so nothing changed in the 10 times I tried the clean install of Yosemite and El Capitan. However, one thing changed for the worse. I tried 1 usb port and the motors changed sound like before, but the machine wouldn’t connect. Then I tried unplugging the mouse and using that port and plugging my mouse into another. This locked up all 3 usb ports and I had to shut down the computer. I tried this multiple times with different ports for starting points and it all ended the same with no usb’s working after unplugging the x-carve usb.

I wonder if I am having an issue with my usb ports. Maybe the mac I bought is complete junk and I need to throw it through the window.

I’m getting a bit frustrated with this computer. I hooked my older mac back up and it works fine like it always has.

I’ll see what happens on Saturday with the copy of Yosemite.

Thanks again for all the help,

Jason

That sounds like a strange logic board problem. I wonder if you had a regular arduino without the G-shield or GRBL on it if it would work or be recognized.
What kind of mac is it specifically? iMac, Mac Mini? Tower?

@JasonHughes can you take it to the Apple Store to have them wipe it and put the factory OS for that hardware back on it?

Mike,

I’m getting another arduino soon, I’ll try that out and see. It is an iMac from 2008. Everything works perfectly on my x-carve on my 2006 iMac with Lion installed on it so that makes me think it’s an issue with my 2008 iMac or specifically El Capitan. I tried to install maverick last night too, same issues. Gets an error trying to install.

Zach,

I’ll take it to an Apple Store if I can’t get uploaded. There isn’t one close to me so it’s not real convenient.

Thanks,
Jason

I finally got Yosemite installed today from the new flash drive. The x-carve connected with the Mac just like it should.

Thanks Daniel, Mike, and Zach for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Back to making some chips again.

Jason