[Solved] Stepper motors wont move

I have JAVA installed but both the .bat and .jar files wont open. I left the speed setting for COM3 to its default 9600. I will give it a try with 115200 instead

Thanks, i’m in the UK but I’ll get one from somewhere

I don’t have Windows 10, odd that UGS won’t run.

So, let’s see if we can get you connected with Putty.

Joe,

You may have better luck running UGS version 2.0.

You can download it here http://bit.ly/1hftIhy

UGS version 1.8 would not load on my computer but 2.0 works perfectly.

Thats great thank you, its opened now. I have managed to send the command $$ and this is what I got back:

$0=10 (step pulse, usec)
$1=255 (step idle delay, msec)
$2=0 (step port invert mask:00000000)
$3=3 (dir port invert mask:00000011)
$4=0 (step enable invert, bool)
$5=0 (limit pins invert, bool)
$6=0 (probe pin invert, bool)
$10=3 (status report mask:00000011)
$11=0.050 (junction deviation, mm)
$12=0.002 (arc tolerance, mm)
$13=0 (report inches, bool)
$20=0 (soft limits, bool)
$21=0 (hard limits, bool)
$22=0 (homing cycle, bool)
$23=3 (homing dir invert mask:00000011)
$24=25.000 (homing feed, mm/min)
$25=750.000 (homing seek, mm/min)
$26=250 (homing debounce, msec)
$27=1.000 (homing pull-off, mm)
$100=40.000 (x, step/mm)
$101=40.000 (y, step/mm)
$102=188.976 (z, step/mm)
$110=8000.000 (x max rate, mm/min)
$111=8000.000 (y max rate, mm/min)
$112=500.000 (z max rate, mm/min)
$120=500.000 (x accel, mm/sec^2)
$121=500.000 (y accel, mm/sec^2)
$122=50.000 (z accel, mm/sec^2)
$130=790.000 (x max travel, mm)
$131=790.000 (y max travel, mm)
$132=100.000 (z max travel, mm)

I havent got a clue what any of it means though.

So you know you can communicate with the controller, can you try jogging the motors.

tried that but nothing. When I try to move the axis it comes back as ok but the motors didnt move.

Sounds like you may have a problem with the 24V power supply. Are you sure you have good connections there and positive/negative wired correctly?

This website will explain all the settings (if you want to know)

I am 100% sure the wiring from the power supply is correct. I have just redone it to make sure. The fan powers on and the blue light on the gshield comes on to. Thank you for your help. I do really appreciate it. I have managed to get a message to inventables now so hopefully they know what to do.

Inventables will take good care of you, They have the best customer service I have ever seen.

If you have no multimeter, try to flip toggle switch on manualy to see if your spindle turns. It tells you if you have 24V on power supply.

@JoeWhittaker

Ok, that’s great. Those settings look good. Do you have the Homing switches installed?

Mainly what I was looking for from the settings you printed out was to see if you could talk to the Arduino and if grbl was responding.

So now the issue is why the gShield isn’t doing its thing.

I remember you said you had the gShield plugged in correctly and the wiring is correct.

It’s beginning to look like there’s something wrong with the gShield.

Check to be sure the controller is not in an alarm state. If it is send a $X to unlock

Just to add this, I am using Windows 10 also, no issues with UGS v2.0 or chilipeppr.

The spindle works fine. So that rules out the power supply.

Thank you. I did originaly but I removed them just incase they were having any effect. Inventables are going to remote my pc and check the firmware on the arduino, they said if it still doesnt work they will send me a replacement gshield. I think it must be the gshield that faulty. Thank you for all your time and help.

I dont think the controller is in an alarm state. I have recieved all ok messages back when I have tried other commands. Inventable are going to remote my pc to see if I need a new gshield. Thanks for all your time and help, I really do appreciate it.

Definitely, Because Spindle Manual operation bay-pass arduino. Make sure your G-Shield pins are completely pushed in and no pins outside. Very easy to make mistake. If one pin is out, breaks your total communication and control. Put flash light when you’re inserting your GShield, also good idea to find couple of bushing like insert to apposite corners of GShield. When you close your Fan case, it pushes down to make full contact.

Thanks, I have tried v2.0 UGS and it opens now. The motors still dont move but at least my pc can talk to the arduino. Inventables are going to remote my pc to see what the problem is and see if I need a new gshield.