Something Different - what i use my xcarve for!

Thanks!

Hi new to cnc and x carve here, but you say a 1/2 bit. Will my x carve with the dewalt 611 hold a 1/2 bit. I would like to buy some of your foam and learn how to make some ideas I have. And what all bits I needed

Thanks Peter! thatā€™s great info. I had used a similar bit size and feeds \ speeds for my testsā€¦

Iā€™ve been cutting foam for my gun cases since I bought my XCarve, but I ran into a lot of problems with the ā€œstockā€ Pelican foam just tearing and not cutting.

Looks like I need to buy a bulk of your custom Soy foam and re-cut all my cases. :smile:

I use a half inch bit because time is money.
to get a bit that is long enough, I could only find a bit 4 or more inch long in a 1/2 inch shaft.
So i made the upgrade. (see pics)
To answer your question, if you are not going to go super deep you can use a 1/4 inch shank. I found with the foam and a smaller bit, the foam will wrap round the foam itself and mess up everything, So you will need to slow down your feed rate and lessen your stepover. But that is how i started. Stepping up white i Troubleshooted. It took me 1.5 years to figure it all out, but i started where you are, not know any lingo, or the ins and outs of cutting. I leaned on this forum when i hit a wall, every time having my problem solved that day. so iā€™m hear for you guys to lean on me. If anyone wants to make money doing this for friends, iā€™m happy to give you what i charge and the problems i found.

Ill give anyone here a 20% discount.
Just enter: XCARVERSDOITBETTER at checkout.
Peter

4 Likes

Hi yes going to use a 1/4 bit for now. I am interested in learning more on how what speed and rates to use

PeterWakem
That is realy nice work Ive been wanting to do this on a few things i have here one of wich is a metal detector carry on casse and a few of my hunting rifles may i ask how do you do this im new to the field
was this file trace out then past on v care or something like that
lease reply
Thanks great job

I use adobe illustrator to make the outlines, a lot of stuff you can make out of boxes and circles, but to make the contoured line, use the pen tool.
Then I bring it into Vcarve and set to depths. Then off to Gcode land it goes!
Peter

Great cutsā€¦

...Moreover, great build!!!  

I just got simultaneous wood and heart palpitation. :stuck_out_tongue:
Iā€™m looking to upgrade to a bigger machineā€¦ got any instruction videos?

Iā€™m definitely going to give your foam a try.

1 Like

nope. But because this is all open source, itā€™s very easy.
Peter

LOL

I had to check. :slight_smile:

this is awesome

Ovarian cancer in men? We donā€™t have ovaries. Thatā€™s what makes us men isnā€™t it?

Transgender men do.

Fair enough.

Just curious how much you charge to make a case I just got a new toy UTAS UTS-15. I may have to give your method a try but figured I would find out how much to save the leg work since I have a bunch of projects on my plate currently.

1 Like

I would need to get the length, width and thickness of your case to be able to quote you a price on the foam, But to cut that out on my xcarve, I charge 45.00 per rifle and it comes with a free mag. any extras depend on how the cut works out, but if itā€™s just put in the dimensions, 5.00. But if i need to custom make the shape, 20.00.
Shoot me the dimensions of the case and I can get you a complete quote. or just buy the foam and do it your self! :slight_smile:
Peter

1 Like

I have a case on order and I am going to try cutting the standard foam by hand but I dont think it will look as nice so once I have the case I will run it by you and see what were talking or maybe just buy the foam and give it a try. Thanks

Wow thats awesome stuff.
I would like to use the foam for props. :smiley: