Somewhat of a 3 stage question

I’ve got 10 trophies I need to carve before next weekend. Cutting them out of 3/4" thick poplar. For the lettering on the trophy I’ve got it set for 2 stages, 1/16" bit and 1/32". For the outline of the trophy the 1/16" flute isn’t long enough to cut through. Can I run the 2 stages with the outline set to 0 depth, then when that’s done run a another stage with my 1/8" bit to cut the outline with the lettering turned to zero depth…OR should I run it in 3 stages where the 1/8" cuts the outline(with tabs of course), then the 1/16" does its job. Then run the 3rd with the 1/32"? Wasn’t sure if it would be fine carving the lettering on the surface with only the tabs holding it secured.

The latter I mentioned would be set like the following

Carve 1
Roughing
Bits
Roughing 1/8"
Detail 1/16"

Carve 2
Detail
Bits
Roughing 1/8"
Detail 1/16"

Carve 3
Detail
Bits
Roughing 1/16"
Detail 1/32"

I have found a very easy solution to this.

Put the whole project in and set it up for your 1/16" and 1/32" bit work.

Then, go to WORKPIECES, click the drop down and select DUPLICATE.
In the primary workpiece, delete your outline.
In the secondary workpiece, delete all of the detail work, delete the second bit and change your main bit to be 1/8".

This saves all positions. Now just run the rough and detail passes in the first workpiece, then switch to the second workpiece and run your cutout pass.

This is the way that I work my projects like this.

1 Like

1/8" won’t even touch the lettering on this. That’s why I need to learn f engrave.

I’ll check out workpieces. Where do I find it at?

Nevermind. No clue why I couldn’t think of where workspace was. One of those days…