Spindle and collect size for X-carve (DeWALT 26200)

Hi Emile, I am also very new in the field of working with CNC-machines and electronics.

Nevertheless I have got the x-carve working with the DeWalt 26200. I ordered it from MasterTools, based in The Netherlands. There seems to be a misfit between US and Europe commonly used drills etc. I also saw that most examples in the US were based on wood carving.

But … this is what I encountered the past few days: The DeWalt comes indeed with a 8mm collet, whilst most precise drills are 6mm or less. On the internet you will find mostly US based companies that provide smaller alternatives to the DeWalt 8mm. But importing stuff from the US is costly.

However I bought a simple adapter (reduction sleeve) from a local shop that actually sells other DeWalt machinery: a cylindrical tube with a single cut in the longitudinal direction. This (cylindrical tube) adapter, which you insert into the 8mm collet, decreases the inner size of the collet from 8mm to say 6mm to fit the respective drill. It will cost about 12 euro.

One thing important: I have been told horror stories about the DeWalt service here in the BeNeLux (time-costly, troublesome, bad in general). From that point of view, DeWalt could simply replaced by a Kress 1050 milling motor (cheaper, better, available and exchangeable collets etc), at least that is what I am told: but this would not fit any of the x-carve spindle mounts (?).