Spindle for X-carve

Nice, I don’t know if I would compare it to the Dewalt or the Makita though. It looks like it’s 250W and max rpm of 6000, it would be comparable to the old 24v spindle that used to come with the X-Carve.

Yes, it’s a small and lite one :smile:

Thanks all for your input, I will look into these options :smile:

Another question if you don’t mind guys n gals. the X-carve 500 is apparently 500mm x 500mm, is that the right dimensions or is it bigger? I need to know if it will fit into my sound booth?

My sound booth is 580mm x 840mm do you think it will fit? I mean is there anything sticking out the edges that would stop it fitting … by the way I would want it so the open ends are on the 840mm axis so I can use boards longer than the actual working area thanks

Peter.
Dimensions once built according to the instructions are 69 cm wide by 63 cm deep (from front) and around 35 cm height. You can get down to 61 cm width and 56 cm depth if you don’t install the cable drag chain and somehow reroute the cables.
Regarding the stepper motor cables: I recommend to not cut the cables to the lengths suggested by the instructions. That leaves you with very little options to move the controller around. Add at least 30 cms (or 1 ft) to each cable length (but beforehand check the total length of cable that you receive in your kit, so that it adds up alright).

Cheers!

Thanks, looks like I need to look at something different than the x-carve :disappointed: it won’t fit in my booth only 58cm wide …

Ps … Pretty confusing name x-carve 500 when its working area is 300mm and its length and width are over 600mm?

The MakerSlise rails are 500mm long… same for the larger one, the MS rails are 1000mm long.

You could always turn the machine to the side and then you could get it to be 560mm wide. Or you could make it a custom size and chop off a little bit of the X-Axis rail and make it a little more narrow. You could also go completely custom and get longer Y-axis rails to nicely fill out the full space. I the end, keep in mind that with the right modifications, the machine can be whatever size you want it to be really. That is the point of MakerSlide rails in the first place.

Thanks, I know see what you are saying, unfortunately I need to cut boards 300mm x 7-800mm. I only need to cut the ends of the 7-800mm part of the board so thought the 500 would be OK … I can’t afford to turn it sideways as I then could only use boards with a length of 300mm-ish and I can’t afford to have the boards under 300mm width.

I think I will have to look for another system that doesn’t require an extra 300 odd mm’s to cut 300mm? or think again on my aims?

I have the 1000 mm one, and my drag chains run vertical, I think on the 500 mm they run horizontal, thus needing more width. I wonder if you used the 1000’s brackets how much space that would save, also I believe the NEMA 17 motors are not as deep as the 23’s, that might save you a coule of cm as well. I might have this wrong, if someone could confirm that would be great.

It may still not be enough to help PG1, but it might be nice to know for someone else.

Thanks Steven, I think I have a simple/obvious solution just by turning the booth on its side … this will give ample room in every direction :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Sketch and Herman, just a clarification on the length of the 500 please, as I may (if possible) put it in the booth as you suggest, sideways. Well at least to begin with as that would do for now. I can drop the booth on its side later when I need it :smiley:

560 would in fact fit with 2cm spare, how big a job would it be if I do as Herman suggests quote " if you don’t install the cable drag chain and somehow reroute the cables" As it will be my first build I don’t want to over complicate matters if possible :blush:

Hello Peter.
Have a look at this image:

Mounting the drag chain of the Y-axis to the base horizontally, actually below the steper motor, will save space on the width. You can also see what Steven referred to by “drag chains run vertical”, saving space on the depth.
As a personal recommendation, if your X-Carve will “stay in the box” all the time, feed the spindle supply cable through a central hole in the box’es top, giving it enough length to reach all end points of travel. This will eliminate electric noise induction on the stepper cables.

-Hermann-

2 Likes

Yep, a picture is worth a thousand words ;-). I’m just not sure if the width previously given was for the drag chain running that way, or pushing out to the side like I believe the original 500mm design had. It would be best if someone with the smaller machine could confirm.

The width given was for the drag chain running on the side of the machine, vertical mount (standard X-Carve 500 setup).

Peter.
Have a look at this:

Comes with nominal dimensions. The lateral drag chain does flex outwards, and that was the dimension I gave (measured on my machine), therefore the 4 cms more than nominal on the width.

Thanks. I think I will understand all of this a lot better when I have an x-carve. It appears with some modification it should fit sideways into my booth which is 58cm wide :slight_smile:

Just to be clear … If I turn it sideways I will only need to worry about the length in red on the image below … I will have plenty of room width-ways 84cm :smile:

Yes, but apparently if I don’t make some changes it is actually 630mm, see the post from HermanR above … unfortunately being new to this the names don’t mean a lot to me … I will hopefully understamnd better when I have the x-carve :slight_smile:

Thanks, unfortunately I am in the UK and it appears the x-carve comes as it comes from Robbsavvy. I think if it is possible I will ask again when I have it, so I can see what needs to be done … Also I will understand the the suggestions better :smiley:

The thing is, as long as I know it will fit with some customization is what is important as I can’t make the booth larger as it is steel :smile:

Hey just read a thread by JeffParish New "Y" Maker Slide End Plates. I believe this is the solution that means I can have the x-carve in sideways but still have the advantages as if the x-carve was in front-ways :slight_smile: Point is with this adaption I can still use a board 30cm x 70-80cm as it will clear the sides :grinning:

Ps, granted I can turn the booth on its side, but would rather not have to go to that extreme :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I have ordered my x-carve and thanks to everyone that has helped, I am sure I will keep coming back to this thread and re-reading the advice given when I have the x-carve, which hopefully will make the advice a lot clearer :grinning:

1 Like