Spindle (non trim router) Recommendation

I’m in the process of slowly building a new 1000mm X-Carve (working on 3/16" steel X-Axis stiffening mod today). I’m still waiting for my X-Controller to ship so I’m in no rush. I’ve ordered the DeWalt 611 mount but haven’t purchased the router yet.

Before I commit to the DW611 router (I already own a DW611 that I use as a woodworking trim router so I’m very familiar with the unit) I’d like to see if there’s another option (i.e. not a trim router) that I should consider. Any specific recommendations of something ‘better’ than the DW611? It would be great if I could get something with a quick change (but still precision?) 1/8" and 1/4" collets - but that’s not a deal breaker.

I’m wondering - by the time I buy the DW611 and then add a SuperPID for speed control am I getting close to the cost of a proper spindle? Plus a spindle could run a LOT longer (without brushes to replace!) and might be a lot quieter?

If I get a spindle, I think air cooled might be better for me than liquid cooled simply because I don’t know anything about liquid cooled systems but I’m open to advice…

I’m in Canada so 60Hz 110/120V or 220/240V is no problem.

Some say Kress 1050 is a real spindle for the X-Carve.

Here are a couple links about spindles/vfd’s that might interest you:

I have a 800w air cooled spindle that runs off a 2.2kw vfd (with speed control potentiometer). I bought the 2.2kw VFD from www.automationtechnologiesinc.com for $180, and the spindle I bought off Ebay for $135 (some suppliers ship from US). With those two purchases, as well as buying the wires/220v plug for the vfd, it comes close $400, so it’s a significant upgrade. To me, it is well worth it: 1) it’s a lot quieter than my old craftsman router that I used previously, 2) I can control the RPM’s via the speed control knob on the vfd, 3) it’s designed to use on CNC’s, so running them for hours and hours won’t hurt it.

If I use the DW611 I will definitely use an Arduino controlled relay for on/off.

I am trying to see what my options are for controlling the speed - I think the minimum for the DW611 is around 16K-17K. It’s my understanding that when milling plastic or aluminum a lower speed could be beneficial.

The reason for asking about a non-router spindle is to see what my options are.

The Makita RT0701C is spec’d at 10000 to 30000 RPM.

Some of them will run at less than 10000 right out of the box. Mine would run at 8600 RPM before I modified it.