Spray paint question

Making a gift for my nephew. Spray painted poplar wood in flat white. I applied vinyl and cut the blue layer and spray painted in a satin sheen. In the final cut I apply new vinyl, cut, and apply a yellow satin. However, the vinyl is only pulling alway the blue color. Is this a spray paint sheen specific thing or a timing thing that it needs more time to rest? Any and all help appreciated!

1 Like

Full cure for most spray paints is 4+ days. Did you wait 4 days before applying the vinyl?

Also i like to apply a coat of water based spray on polyurethane over top paint and let that dry fully before I put Oramask813.
I haven’t had paint peel in me with letting the spray paint dry for 4 days and using the clear coat. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I didn’t wait 4 days but the white paint didn’t chip or peel in the slightest. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

The blue paint looks very thick, that could be why it peeled up.
Did you sand and prime the board first?
Russell

1 Like

The poplar wood was sanded. Spray painted in flat white x2 and lightly sanded again. And then applied the satin blue paint. I didn’t sand it before applying the yellow. But I’ve done other projects with varying results - timing is probably the biggest factor but some of them are just much more difficult. I’ll have to learn to be patient.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.