Spruce Strat build

I picked up some really nice, clean spruce and some Bolivian rosewood or a Tele that I’m making for a friend and had plenty of material to make a Strat, so I finally got off my butt and got busy. The neck will be started this week. Now I just need to get rid of a couple Tele’s that I built recently and I will be set!

f

9 Likes

Would you share that strat file by chance I don’t know enough about guitar building to find and modify one online to work I really want to cut a guitar body but not enough to build the file I use aspire

I did the belly (spindle sander) and forearm contours (disc sander) by hand so if you want those you will need to figure that out.

1 Like

I use the XC to make neck templates, made these specifically for this build. They are just a bit wider than the final shape so I can sand get a tight fit.

4 Likes

Thanks so much !

1 Like

why does the cutout path go .75 and not 1.75? do you finish it with a router?

Yes, I cut the rest with my bandsaw then clean it up with my table router.

Getting closer, decided to try something a little different on the sides and back for a kinda rustic fresh out of the fire look

6 Likes

Looking very nice! I’m really into that shou sugi ban style flamejob on some of my builds too. Those black sides came out great…

1 Like

I originally burnt the sides and, back and front but couldn’t get it the way I wanted, so I sanded it all off. The sides and back are done with 4 different stains.The top was just a little cherry stain and some 5 coats of clear.

And done! This makes 6 guitars using the XC.

7 Likes

I love the look of that burnt back, might try that on some Cigar Box builds I’ve got in the works :grinning:

Yep, I scored some Bolivian rosewood from a local woodworker store, it feels awesome!

2 Likes