Star Wars coasters

Here is a really complete analysis of Fan Art and the law
The video is about an hour long, but the lawyer does a good job explaining the complex legal issues surrounding fan art

This link is from Is Fan Art Illegal?

1 Like

Thanks so much for the info guys. Good thing I only made one set of these.

You can’t sell these, only for your own use. Sorry but that is the way it is unless
you want to pay them a royalty I’m sure they charge.
Taylor Swift would jump on you right now if it was her logo.

And how is that a bad thing? :smiley:

8 Likes

Coming from my own personal experience…my wife had listed some Harley Davidson etched glasses she had made on etsy. Within 48 hours we received a cease and desist message from them stating that we had I believe it was 24 hours to remove them or they would seek legal action. The companies that are huge on selling crap with their logo all over it watch sites like etsy and troll for products they did not authorize.

On of my first CNC projects was a far art of a copyrighted property (The “Horde” symbol from “World of Warcraft”)
I carved it in wax, cast it in resin and made them into pin and pendants.
I then gave them away for FREE to people who dressed up in costume for the game at the conventions I attended.
Was it a violation of copyright? Yep - especially being that I was producing these via casting. But I figured being that no one profited from it that there would be no issue. (and there never was)

That is a big reason why I keep remaking that Tiki of mine. I purchased that model from a wood sign clip-art vendor, with the right to make it. So that thing will get used a lot :wink:

I think in the world of 3D printers and Cheep CNC you will see this kind of thing grow and develop more.

For example: Bone Heads makes 3D print models. Purchasing them give you the right to use and sell 100 items made with their model. If you want to make more, re-purchase it for another 100. If you want to make ALOT more - contact them for bulk licensing.

Another example 3D model Club. You can use there models for carving but not casting. Making molds to cast is expressly not allowed. You can pay more for a mass production license of the same model, or even more to purchase it outright and they will stop selling it.