Step-by-step tutorial for using vCarve Pro with my X-carve?

So far I’ve been using only Easel with my X-carve and have been happy enough. But I have vCarve Pro now and I’d like to start using v-bits to carve more detailed designs on my X-carve. What I’m stuck on is how to get my design from vCarve Pro to my X-carve.

So I’m wondering if there is a “How-to” or step-by-step tutorial that will tell me how to carve my vCarve-created design on my X-carve? If not, can someone please tell me what I need to do?

Just go to training section on vectric site, you’ll find very handy information on different projects for preparing toolpath.
When you master your first basic toolpath, you can send it to x-carve using easel, UGS or any cam software.
I suggest adding x-carve post processor to your vcarve pro first. More details on that you can search this forum by typing post processor to magnifying glass on the upper right corner. Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks Alan! Got my first design completed and used the Easel post-processor to send it to my X-carve. Turned out great except that the 1/4" birch plywood I’m using seems to splinter a bit too easily when I’m carving fine detail (like lettering).

So now having run through the first VCarve Pro tutorial on using vbits, I’m wondering whether my X-carve will actually carve with a 90-degree vbit like the “Bullshead” tutorial shows? If I understand how vbits work, it would seem that they move variably up-and-down in the Z direction depending upon the width of the line they are trying to carve? For a thin line it seems they will cut just slightly into the material but for a thick line they will cut deeper?

So my question is whether that variable vertical motion of the bit is incorporated into the gcode by VCarve Pro or how much it depends upon the capability of the X-carve? The reason I ask is because I’ve found a lot of comments in this forum talking about how Easel can’t yet use vbits.

Vbit operation completely different than straight bits.
Anything you prepare on Vcarve for Vbit must go with Universal Gcode Sender, Fengrave or similar. They all free Gcode senders.
One more thing you must know that, Vbit operation follows inside two lines. Means if lines get closer, you have shallow depth, if gets farther you have deeper V cuts. If you want to regulate depth of the cut, you must select flat Depth on Vcarve to have even flat depth surface.
X-Carve is capable of handling all this operation without fail. Only not able to operate V carving gcodes. (As far as I know.)

1 Like

When they say Easel won’t do V-carving…they mean it does not generate the complicated code to move the z up and down like you describe. It will run code at a single z height as if you were using a straight bit. If you import Gcode from V-carve pro or F-engrave the X-carve will follow that code. Easel just won’t generate that code on its own…yet.

Yes. I’ve tried a few carves now using gcode generated by VCarve Pro and imported into Easel. It works just fine with vbits carving with both flat and variable depths. Thanks to all who helped me learn that!

Now I just wish there was a way to get the chiseled look of a vbit carve with an engraving bit. Vbits seem great at carving large lettering but not so hot for small (less than 3/8" height) lettering or fancy fonts while an engraving bit will carve very small lettering and fancy fonts but can’t provide that “chiseled” look.

The engraving bits have a fine tapered point that tapers down to about .02". So far they are the bits that I’ve been able to get the finest detail from. I’ve used them to carve detailed stampers on 2" x 3" linoleum blocks and I can carve features into the blocks that are as fine as my signature on paper in ink. The down side to the engraving bits is that, due to their small size, they take a very long time to do carves and they have somewhat the same problem as vbits in that they aren’t great at removing flat areas. They also have the additional advantage that they are cheap; only $2 each.