Steve's Projects

Hey Steve, for your PVC signs are you using “Expanded PVC”? I found this on amazon and am wanting to try it out.

https://www.amazon.com/Expanded-PVC-Sheet-Lightweight-Displays/dp/B079NPTBSL/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=sheet+pvc&qid=1563306372&s=gateway&sr=8-7

Thanks

Andrew,
I don’t like to answer for Steve but that’s not what he is using. What you found on Amazon has a foam center. The material that Steve uses is solid PVC.

Thanks Russel, I will keep looking for the right stuff :smile:

1 Like

I’m going to have to disagree with @RussellCrawford on this one. Expanded PVC is exactly what you want. It’s solid PVC, but “foamed”. Carves like butter.
That photo makes it look like poster board, though.

1 Like

Disagree with me?!!! What!!! :joy:. I though that had a foam center. They do make a material with plastic on the outside and foam in the middle. I’m on my phone so I can’t see it to good. As long as it’s solid PVC then you’re good. Sorry for the wrong information. Thanks for the correction Neil. Look up Ultraboard we use it at work.

2 Likes

Like Russell was saying, Steve will point you in the right direction but I’m 99.9% sure this is not what you need. I bought this by mistake and it’s not hard, it’s got something like paper on the top and bottom with a soft sponge in the middle. It’s very weak, you could cut it with scissors.

I think this is what your what, https://www.amazon.com/Polyvinyl-Chloride-Standard-Tolerance-Thickness/dp/B000ILJZ70/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=pvc+board&qid=1563345052&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Steve is the sensei when it comes to all things like this so I’m sure he’ll give you the 100% answer.

1 Like

It is solid PVC, it is Veranda product I purchase at Home Depot. Here is s pic of the sticker from the backside of the 1/2" material. The 1/4" doesn’t give any detail other than 1/4" PVC. hope this helps.

You need to run it at at least 80 ipm. it cuts easy so you can be aggressive with cuts

I use the 2 flute SC bit from Inventables and Whiteside Carbide 60 or 90 v bit. I have looked and cant seem to find 1/16 and 1/32 straight flute bits. there are times i DO NOT use the v bit for fine detail.

down cut not good but works. up cut pulls the oramask off and buries pvc in the edge.

Steve

2 Likes

I cut it in one pass.

50ipm
50ipm
deth of cut .4

max depth in design was .3451

I stiffened my rails made a world of difference absolutely no chatter on this.

still need to paint the detail in

I will post pics when done. The light actaully makes it look like i painted it already,

5 Likes

You may also want to check out AZEK
Its a solid PVC product.
I started using it when I had some leftover white trim boards from rebuilding my deck.
Cuts beautifully and holds fine detail.
I got mine at Lowes

2 Likes

Thank you for the info Steve. I am swinging by Home Depot this evening so I will look for it.

Hi Steve,
Where did you get this? I LOVE it. I want to carve one.
Thanks,
Trevin

1 Like

Hi Steve,
Can I get the file for this?
Thanks,
Trevin

1 Like

Steve, your work is very impressive and as a new user I hope to someday reach your level of competence. As a retired CPD Sergeant I really like this carve.

1 Like

Thanks Rudy made one for a friend for helping me on a project now he has commissioned me to make 6 of them for his buddy’s.

1 Like

Steve,
is it possible to private message? I tried contacting Inventables and was told I did not have that privilege as a new user of the forum. I have a question about PS561 that has nothing to do with the forum but more about the person who wore that badge. Thanks

Hey steve what are you using to protect the paint afterwards on the PVC?

1 Like

@BlueLocktite Nothing, I would imagine you could clear coat over it. I use Rustoleum 2X paint

1 Like

Rudy email me at thefinishednailwoodshop@gmail.com

That was what I was thinking… but figured I would see if you did different.

THanks

first time with Corian

6 Likes