Steve's Projects

Never thought about using pvc board, what bit do you tend to use for it? (Sorry if you’ve already said so)

Looked through the thread and I see where you say you started using the PVC board instead of the MDF, does that mean you used MDF on these “welcome” signs?

Edit: I gotta start reading better, I see they are in MDF. The reason I ask is because the paint is really good. I can’t get my MDF to look that good so wondering if you had any tips.

@AdamBeech the 1/8" compression and/or the straight 2 flute both working well. I also have been using a 5/16" and 1/4" on the plastic ones were i have to remove a lot of material all seem to work well.

@DavidFaltus I use the rustoleum spray paint goes on really nice. Sometimes on the 1/2 and 3/4 i spray some of the edges form the backside so i can get something on all of it. On the plastic ZI leave it white and scary the color before carving

Here are sone new ones, My bit wore out on the Monogram starting making chatter and less than perfect edges about 1/2 way through. Still came out OK though.

Not real happy with how the Oramask did on the Merchant Marine it didn’t cut real clean it grabbed some of the chips I will try the straight 2 flute next time to see if I get better results.

IMG_3629

11 Likes

These look awesome. Your designs are amazing. Lots of talent @SteveMoloney

1 Like

Seconding Phil’s praise. Very nice, unique.

2 Likes

Were you using up-cut or down-cut? I’ve had great results with Oramask milling cleanly with down-cut bits.

All your projects look great - love the Jeep flag!

1 Like

Wow Steve, this is all such great quality and creativity. So inspiring to see ! Thanks

1 Like

Here are a couple more I have done.

The Reds Logo is being donated to my company as a fund raiser in support of plant employees that need some help at Christmas time. We as a facility adopt 15 local families and the employees buy gifts in support of that cause. Last year we also adopted several MCC family’s and will be doing it again this year.

The Logo took 1:15 with with a 1/8" end mill and over 4 hrs with a 90 degree 9/16" V-bit. Easels estimate was 2:15 minutes for that step, that is the second project i have done were the estimate wasn’t even close. Took an additional 15 minutes with the 1/8" end mill to cut it out.

Overall I am very pleased with the outcome.

IMG_3688

7 Likes

Todays Project

6 Likes

That logo is sweet! It’s made out of the PVC board? If so what are your finishing steps? Also is the UK logo made out of the PVC board or MDF?

Yes all PVC board paint first then carve. On the Bengals I sprayed it black, put on Oramsk, Carved then sprayed the orange. Had some picking of the black when I peeled the Oramask to touch up still need to work out that wasn’t to bad most people would never see it but I do.

3 Likes

Hey Steve. How deep are you cutting on the PVC?

@BlueLocktite, .08, .1, .125

Did this one today in 1/2" @ .1 used 1/8" for roughing and 1/16" for the detail pass size is 12" x 12"

1/8" 50/50/.1
1/16" 40/40/.05
Back to 1/8" to cut it out at 50/50/.084

5 Likes

It looks like Amazon may sell smaller sheets if this is the correct PVC material.

PVC 1/4" Thickness, 12" Width, 12" Length
$12
httpss://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ILG0E6

If you can find it at Home Depot you get a 2’ x 4’ piece for $14.

Yeah, I wasn’t happy about the price but one message from Home Depot Support talked about it being discontinued and the website doesn’t list anything bigger than 9.5" wide available at any store near me. I have not checked HD or Lowe’s in person though, that’s the next step.

WELL THAT SUCKS HOPE THEY DONT DO THAT! Surely there are builder supply places that carry it. I will have to do some research on it. Thanks for the heads up.

They don’t have it in my area

@PhillipLunsford, @ChrisBroughton I searched Cellular PVC and found two other suppliers in Cincinnati. Try the Dealer/Supplier link on these websites Versatex and Azek.

1 Like