Steve's Projects

Thank you

Good lead. Our HD has several sizes and thicknesses available and it’s the same material as the PVC trim, of which I have lots of scraps. Time to experiment!

A couple variations of the Cincinnati badge I made Monday. I didn’t like some of the elements so I went back and cleaned them up for next time. Other than importing the Junta Juvant emblem everything else is Easil.I tried a couple ways of adding the dots and that crushed Easil. Going to try one using a bull nose bit as a 3rd stage in the background to give it some texture setting it .02 deeper after the initial carve.

IMG_3818

9 Likes

A couple more projects from the weekend

IMG_3842IMG_3827

10 Likes

Beautiful work!

1 Like

Wow those look great.

1 Like

Great work there. Been looking for a different material for my signs and found a bunch of these at Lowes. Going to run by tomorrow and pick some up and see how well it works.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Royal-Building-Products-Actual-0-375-in-x-48-in-x-8-ft-Common-PVC-Board/50393486

Very nice and clean work. I am still struggling with painting different parts. Any tips be appreciated. But very nice work. Inspirational.

Finally got a chance to try this out with a complete fail lol… Steve are you adding some kind of Adhesion Promoter?

1 Like

maybe try a downcut bit?

1 Like

Good point … I’ll try that next time

I have been using 2 flute straight bits and 60 and 90 degree bits. I also have a 1/4" down cut that works good as well. I also use the Rustoleum 2X Paint for plastic most of the time as the color selection is much better. The straight Rustoleum spray works as well. Hope this helps. I have not had any do what your picture shows. I messed up one time and used an up cut bit and it chipped out pretty bad and sick to the Oramask. Other than that no real issues. I do need to find a better bright silver. The rustoleum one fingerprints real bad and scratches super easy.

1 Like

Going to try the straight cut tonight…thanks for sharing Steve

Hey Steve. Must say awesome work man! I dont have a xcarve but thinking about getting one someday. Just wondering where you get your designs to carve from? Do you make them yourself or are these just images you can find online somewhere and import into Easel?

All of the above, but a lot are created in easel, I buy some of Etsy and find images on Google images. I have only done one or two from the Facebook groups.

There are a few Facebook pages with free files on them as well.
the CNC file sharing group
wooden flag makers for inspiration
x carve & CNC owners
cnc for beginners

ON Etsy, Patriot Designs, Marshal CNC and Bad Dog Metal works are good files. You will find ALOT of the Etsy files are pretty rough to carve, so you can spend time cleaning them up in Easel or just use them as a template and start over.

There is a converter I use to make SVG as well it is called Cad Converter by Convertio.

Worldvectorlogo has a lot of files you just need to clean them up they tend to have a ton of layers in them that want to mess things up. So you kinda have to muddle through the file after it is imported to get it to run right.

A few new projects
IMG_3908

IMG_3907IMG_3906IMG_3991
IMG_3869IMG_3868

5 Likes

These are awesome. Do you ever sleep?

1 Like

Steve,

Thanks for the information you supplied before your lasted post of awesome projects! Much Appreciated! I know you mentioned this before but are you still using the Oracal mask for your multi colored PVC boards or using something else? They look great btw.

Are these all for family and friends or are you making some extra cash with these? I’m selling a few hand routed clocks here and there right now but hoping that once I get my xcarve to up the production, quality and profit some. :smile:

@PhillipLunsford sleep is over rated you get plenty when you die.

My work schedule is rotating, this week I work M,T, F,S,S and I am off W,R, Next week it is opposite I only work W,R. So I have a lot of free time, especially during the week while the wife is at work.

1 Like

@BenjaminLipinski yes I sell, make for friends and have donated several for charity raffles. Pretty much at this point it is word of mouth. The plant I work at has 600+ employees so I take one in and make another and the word gets around.

Hard part is what is fair pricing. Sometimes I think I charge to much others times completely not enough.

On the surface it looks like you are making money but the expense of bits, material, paint, supplies and masking material, its will add up quickly.

1 Like