Stiffening Y Axis Question

Thanks! Here’s the finished product, just waiting on UPS to start assembly

4 Likes

Ron, I went to a local welding shop and they got some pieces of aluminum from their “scrap” bin. Fairly large pieces, too! I paid next to nothing for it and it cut beautifully on my XC.

1 Like

Thanks Gord… that’s a great idea.

lol no, waiting on the two wide makerslides

Also ordered some small buttons off Ebay and made this little guy for start, pause and cancel.

4 Likes

Which one did you get?

Nice, based on the prusa.

Here’s the custom lift plates and the wide maker slides on the y axis all finished. When I get a little cash I’ll add the other v wheels and plates.

6 Likes

so the y axis wider maker slides, does it seem significantly stiffer?

Extremely stiffer

Got mine today… :slight_smile: thanks @CharleyThomas … landed safe and soundly before the snow hits… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really digging the y wides … :slight_smile:

Good work on the plates! they look sharp!

2 Likes

They should really offer it as an upgrade, such a difference in rigidness.

@BrianSaban did you make the custom lift plates for the wide Y rails?

Yes

Finally got around to installing my @CharleyThomas endplates … I was inspired by @BrianSaban with the wide Y axis that he added and remembered I had my old original X-axis rails (replaced with the newer wide one)… so, i thought to myself, why not add a few holes to the end plates and see what we can do … voila…

2 Likes

Tall plates and wide slide!

2 Likes

Unless I missed it somewhere, how thick do the Y axis plates need to be? In other words, what is the horizontal distance between the bottom extrusion and the Y axis rail? It seems some have used .250" plates, and some have used what looks like 1/8" steel. I was planning on picking up some 1/8" steel plate and making some brackets, just want to make sure I don’t need to use spacers.

C.j-

If you are willing to trim your waste board, you can use 1/4" stiffeners. I have also done 1/8" stiffeners for customers who don’t want to trim the waste board. My machine is a 750 with 1/4" stiffeners, and my waste board is around 26 7/8" wide.

If you want to take the easy way out, I sell 1/4" aluminum stiffeners on my website and can do 1/8" as well.

-Luke

1 Like

okay, so I guess by deduction the gap between the rail is 1/8" That makes sense. I plan on laser cutting them out of 1/8th inch steel.