Stop easel reversing direction with tabs

@PhilJohnson The engineering team just emailed me that they are aware of this issue. They said they are discussing the issue in their meeting today.

Stay tuned.

1 Like

They got back to me and said they have a pretty good theory now as to what is happening. They are doing some more testing and we may be able to make a change.

More to come.

2 Likes

Hi @PhilJohnson I think this may be happening on other machines besides X-Carve.

1 Like

Has anyone tried this on a Tormach or a bigger machine with Easel?

Developer update on this:

We have removed the specific optimization that allowed open paths to be reversed in order to save time going back and forth. This was the cause of quick back and forth reversals during tabs. Now the tabs “hop” from one to the other instead of reversing.

However, there are still situations where a section of path can end up being traversed the wrong direction, but it will no longer go back and forth rapidly. This is the hard part, code-wise. The improvements that @JeffTalbot mentioned earlier, to fully solve reversing and safety height retraction are still in progress.

We are really sorry for the issues this has caused. Thank you for the help diagnosing this problem. If you are still having problems (after refreshing Easel), please post or DM a link to your easel project so that we can have more test cases to help us find problems.

4 Likes

3 Cheers! thank you for your support. When will we have access to this?

2 Likes

The changes were deployed right before Paul posted yesterday. As he said, if you are still experiencing issues after refreshing Easel, please post or DM a link to your easel project so that we can have more test cases to help us find problems.

Many thanks for fixing this @JeffTalbot @paulkaplan. I have an svg with inside pockets in it, the fix has stopped the reverse pass on the outside of the shape however the inside pockets still do a reversing pass. Find my file here: Easel

Many thanks for your help.

Matt

@Zach_Kaplan @JeffTalbot I cetianly hope this is a temporary quirk and not the final solution but my cuts are not reversing at all now! i.e. If I were cutting a line every pass it will start at the top, carve the line, then lift and go to the top of the line to begin again, EVERY SINGLE pass, even if it is not a thru cut. This is adding tons of additional z travel and thus cut time.

We wanted it to stop reversing at the tab height on closed objects. At least that was my thought. This lifting every single pass on open objects is too much.

Anyone else seeing this?

Hi @JosephCompton this is a temporary fix. We have a major infrastructure update coming that will handle this whole thing much differently.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply @Zach_Kaplan. I hesitated saying anything when the first project did this as I knew you guys were working hard on this issue, but after the second project repeated the same undesirable tool path I was getting worried. This extra travel is hard to take as time is a huge problem for me right now. I run the XC for nearly 8 hrs a day (actual running time) and I’m still so far behind on orders that anything that increases carving time kinda works me up.

Thanks for the update, I know you guys are working hard on this, and I understand how complicated it must be to make everyone happy.

1 Like

Are you running the same file over and over?

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Unexpected pausing during carves

Great Changes to this operation. Thanks guys. Also agree the spindle going to the top line of the cut for every tabbed event is very annoying and extremely time consuming. Glad to hear this is in the list to be corrected.

1 Like

@JeffTalbot
Not working for me, still reversing…

We have not seen the pausing. We don’t believe it’s related to the reversing, so I created a new topic:

1 Like

Thanks for the additional example, Kurt.

As Zach said, we’re moving forward with our larger changes that will eliminate all reversing issues and safety height lifts. That work is getting nearer to the finish line. We will make the announcement when it’s available. We’re in the home stretch now.

2 Likes

moved to beta forum

edit

Good day , I know this is an old thread, but the problems discussed here is exactly what I am suddenly experiencing using Easel…

I get a perfect cut, then when it reaches the tab depth for the “through cut”, it reverse direction and slightly moves of the cutting path, ramming into my work piece few seconds after the reversal…

This was not a problem in the past (few months ago), but at that time Easel did not reverse the direction of the cut when doing the tabs.

Is there anyway I can ask Easel to not have the reverse cutting optimization for the tabs?