Stripped out z axis motor

So, the z axis nema 17 motor im using has stripped one of the holes during the belt alignment process, and mounts with the other three OK, but I’m wondering if there is a way to get a replacement motor bearing plate, as I feel it’s a bit of a waste to throw out a working motor just because one hole stripped. Does anyone know of a way to buy individual parts of the motors?

Emily, taking a stepper motor apart can totally destroy its usefulness at the worst, and weaken its torque at the least.

Perhaps the hole can be re-tapped for a larger screw if you are concerned about only using the three remaining screws.
Regards,
John

@JohnChamplain is correct, If you take apart the motor it will never work the same again without the proper factory equipment to reassemble it.

NEMA 17’s are only about $15 on Amazon (free shipping)

http://www.amazon.com/Stepper-Motor-Bipolar-64oz-Printer/dp/B00PNEQI7W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438801715&sr=8-1&keywords=nema+17

Ah, I guess iI should have figured that, im so used to swapping armatures in brushless multi rotor motors I assumed I could take these apart too :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ll probably just use it with three mountjng holes or tap it larger until I decide to upgrade to nema 23’s

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

I’d just pop a helicoil in it, myself. Stronger than original, given threads into aluminum. :smile:

3 Likes

If you have acces to the backside of the stripped mounting location, could you simply run a longer bolt through the mount and put a nut on the end of the bolt?