Stuart's Projects

Extremely pleased with this project. Designed from scratch in Fusion 360. 3D carved all the holes for the rope with a 6mm ball nose solid carbide bit. Made the straps to hold the rope down from some 15mm copper pipe I had spare from a previous project. Made the badge from 2.5mm copper sheet using 60 deg V bit and 1 flute 8mm carbide on the profile.

16 Likes

Wow that really turned out nice… definitely a timeless piece

1 Like

The lucky customer, whomever they may be will have their own name / message engraved on the lid.

Looks awesome! And then the last pic revealing the scale is a nice touch too. ( wasn’t expecting it that big)

8mm rope, 9mm holes, 25mm centre to centre on the holes. 16mm rope for handles, 19mm holes. In Fusion 360 i used a torus shape and 2 cylinders for the cutout of a pair of holes then filleted the edges to make it curved. The width, depth and height of the box were determined by the hole spacing and pattern. Final dimensions of box are 540 x 340 x 260

Nicely done!

The pictures made it initially look like it would sit on a desk, then it was in a room! Scale and perspective are funny things.

1 Like

Technically it will scale, I might consider making a 1/4 scale version with 9m of string instead of 38m of rope. Although it will probably still take 4 hours to thread the string, maybe longer because it will be fiddlier. :slight_smile:

That looks amazing. Great creativity!

1 Like