Update for those who care…
Machine is fully assembled as of last night. However, while getting it connected to the computer the xcontroller started to make a loud noise and vibrate, turns out the cooling fan is toast (bad bearing(s)). They are sending me a new one.
In the meantime, I did manage to do a test run “in the air” last night and things went OK. I think I’ll rig up a fan temporarily to blow into the controller so I can continue to get the machine dialed in and start some real work on it.
So, the tally at this point:
- Waste board that was out of spec (required wasters to finish assembly).
- Shorted nylock nuts
- Shorted t-slot nuts (only affected ability to attach the side bard to the main/waste board/frame)
- Bad fan in the controller
At this point while I still think that it’s sort of silly that I’ve had this many issues before even starting to use the machine, Inventables has made it right regarding the waste board (they offered to send me a new one, I asked for a store credit of the same value and they obliged). And after my test run last night, things are looking promising.
Despite some initial confusion (admittedly probably due to my frustration) when I first started talking to Inventables, the person I’ve been speaking with (emailing) has been helpful and brought resolution to the issues.
I will say that the assembly manual is pretty terrible. I’m not trying to insult whoever wrote it but… I’m a technical person and I had to do some double takes and head scratching. Its funny, 'cause it started off OK and then progressively got less and less clear as it went on. Anyway, it could stand a refresh.
That’s it for now, I’m hoping to take the weekend to get the machine dialed in and get cutting with it.