Sudoku Board and Pieces

Since there’s so many awesome people on these forums, I’m going to go ahead and make this project (and the video I made about it) public early. I made a Sudoku board and pieces that my kids have already spent a few hours enjoying, and fighting over. Seriously, the first thing I heard this morning was “Can I play Sudoku?” Gotta love my kids… :smile:

Here are the project links:

And here’s the video link. It’s not being officially released for another 2.5 hours, so consider this a sneak preview:

Big thanks to everyone on this forum, I asked a couple questions that were directly or indirectly related to this project and got lots of good information from everyone. That’s why I want all of you to watch the video, since you will all have a VERY strong interest in the special announcement.

I recorded a lot more video than I could use, but I am going to try to release another video or series featuring some tips and tricks I used. Just have to find time to edit down to reasonable length(s).

7 Likes

Great work, cant wait to cut one for my kids, they LOVE Sudoku!

1 Like

Wow, this is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Very nice, it turned out great and more great stuff from @Zach_Kaplan and inventables.

2 Likes

Thanks, it turned out to be easy once I figured out good feeds and speeds. Took forever to cut, but well worth it. The best part is, you can buy a single Sudoku magazine and it will last forever, since they can go through the puzzles over and over again. :smile:

1 Like

Thanks!

Thank you! Gotta love Inventables.

1 Like

Yeah, I absolutely love it. Getting the kids away from the iPads and YoutTube makes all the time invested in cutting it well worth it. Plus I love to be able to have something they can play with in the car, or while camping etc…

I just recently ordered some exotic wood cutoffs, so I’m planning on using maybe zebrawood, yellow or purpleheart, gluing up to make a larger plank and doing it out of something colorful…

thanks again for sharing!

1 Like

I would love to see it if you make one.

I never even thought about inlay, that’s going to look great! Is that a maple board?

1 Like

2 Likes

At a minimum, the board needs to be 9"x10". Since you should have double-sided tape all over the back (unless you want tabs and clamps), you don’t need to be much bigger than that.

The project actually has 10 of each number, in case of damage during cutting or loss. It’s surprisingly easy to drop one and lose it without realizing it…

1 Like

To those that have watched the video I posted last Friday, thank you very much. Now that there’s only about 2.5 days left until the deadline, I think it’s time to spread the word.

Inventables has given me two $50 gift codes to give away with this video. The only thing you have to do to enter is leave a comment on YouTube talking about an odd or new tool that you use or want to use. It may just be a tool that you want but don’t have, like a circular saw, but could be like a chain you use to help “antique” a table.

Entry ends this Friday at about noon Mountain Time. There’s currently 22 entries, so you have about a 1:12 chance to win at the moment.

2 Likes