Surface Relief Map of the United States

Just came across this the other day. Pretty sure some people here would be interested in this, Convert Geological Information into a Custom Map Fit for 3D Printing and Milling | Make:.

Let me know if you want to do this and need help with the mapping/GIS operations. I do that for a living.

3 Likes

This is really cool! I have wanted to give one of these a try for a while now. 150+ hours seems pretty reasonable for the whole united states lol. Wouldn’t in be cool to have an entire 10’x25’ wall of the world in a relief map carved by CNC!

That’s very cool. Definitely on my bucket list. Not only is that map cool, but check out that Krenov cabinet!

Roger - I just may take you up on that, my parents have acreage in central Kentucky and one of the things that I wanted to do was create a 3D map w\ the XCarve of their property, since that area of the country is very hilly and has some interesting geographical features. I am going to walk thru the article and I may just hit you up for some help on getting the topo data for that region.

Thanks! This is a great article

You betcha. If I can help you, I’m happy to do so.

This is great. I have used google sketchup and fusion 360 to do some very specific topology. I have tried USGS for data 3 times now, each failed, so I look forward to yet another set of directions

This is about 3in x 5in x 1.5in