Table top carving

I was wondering if anyone has set up a machine to cut below the waste board? I am looking at possibly setting one up on a very large table top and carving a design to the middle but I do not know if it is possible to do this. Any ideas?

Should be possible with a correct jig made for the cnc to the said table size and then just find your center for the table and design your design to that size. If it’s for a business outlook it would be good to make the jig and have certain sizes for it. If your looking to just do it once then it’s up to you for taking apart your CNC and putting it back together. There has been a few people on YouTube and the inventables project site doing something similar to your idea.

1 Like

To do that you would have to remove all of the cross braces of the frame, which would make it unstable I think. You would also have to install a new z axis that would go down that far

1 Like

I believe the stock Z axis can easily be re-positioned by loosening the 4 screws and sliding the Z extrusion down on the X gantry.
I think the bracing under the waste board is mostly for support of the waste board.
If you clamp down the perimeter frame work there should be no loss of rigidity.
However moving it would stress those perimeter frame joints.
Maybe create a waste board that has a large hole in the center and work down through that.

1 Like