Tabs between components

Hi,
Ive searched through the forum assuming this topic must have been covered previously, alas I cannot find anything .

I need to create “tabs” or connector pieces between the components of a pattern in order to keep the individual pieces in place and the spacing accurate once extracted from the material, the tabs need to be cut to a depth shallower than the components in order to be “hidden” once embedded in epoxy.
The pattern has possibly 100+ individual parts, cut using outline, outside. I could invert the image and cut using fill, however the simulation takes a few days… lol…certainly not the most efficient way of doing it.

Any help would be much appreciated

(Strikethrough text)

I realized a pretty basic flaw in my plan. Let me try again…

Sounds to me that you could do the first cut using outside outline without the tabs then create a compound object including the tabs and do a second outside outline cut starting at the depth of the first cut and cut to full depth of the material, no fill required.

Perhaps a picture to show your requirements if I haven’t understood the problem.

http://easel.inventables.com/projects/IRD4fDR2isUh9yh139hp4g

Would this work? Again, it’s a tedious process to make all of these tabs, but it’d be much faster than the fill carve you speak of.

Each tab is a rectangle connecting the two components with a straight line above and below to separate the tab from the waste material.

Project link:

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for your reply. As you may see from the project, I need the individual leaves extracted, however they need to remain in position, Ill try attach the project for you to get the full picture. (this is my first post so bare with me as I attempt to upload)
I had started creating my own tabs much like Kimberly posted alas it is tedious…

Hi Kimberly,

Thank you for your help. What you suggest is pretty much what I had been doing, but as you say, tedious!

As you have so little black at the back of the leaves have you considered not having tabs and just cutting the black part of your image part way through the material and effectively just leaving one big tab to fill with epoxy?

1 Like

Okay, so you want the black in your picture to be epoxy and the whites will be wood?

Stuart´s suggestion is a good one.

1 Like

Hi Stuart and Haldor
Apologies for the belated reply, its been a ridiculous past 3 days which has kept me away from the computer.
Thank you for your suggestion. I will attach two videos which display what I will be attempting, I perhaps should have done this at the outset in order for you all to get the entire picture and associated stumbling blocks.
I had considered a similar approach to what you suggest, however I need to pour the epoxy from the “bottom” (this ensures the top is absolutely flush) as you may see in the videos. I want/need to keep a visual on as much of the components at the start of the pour in order to ensure there are no voids or bubbles especially as I will also probably do more projects with concrete which is far less flowing than epoxy, and will probably need to pack it into the corners. So as far as creating one tab goes It won’t work if pouring the medium into a form from the rear. Ideally one would prefer no tabs at all alas keeping each part in place is essential…but so is accessibility.

Thank you for help and suggestions, Ill keep searching and trying other ways, If I find anything ill post.

Regards
Grant