Telecaster Guitar Project

One comment I want to add. (This is not directed at anyone specific, just from what I have personally experienced)

A typical CNC can not make a guitar, it can make guitar shaped objects, but not guitars. It is not like we can place a pile of wood and hardware in one side and the machine spits out a finished guitar on the other. To build a guitar it takes more skill than just cutting out pieces of wood into shapes. The wood has to be glued together to build the blanks and the assembly and setup are entirely done by hand. Not to mention the finish. The finish itself can make or break a guitar. If the finish looks awful most will see it as an inferior instrument. I consider my instruments only 50% done by the time they are ready for Finish. The Finish is by far the most difficult part to get perfect and the most difficult aspect of the build. (I use nitrocellulose lacquer)

I state this bc I am a guitar builder. I am tired of individuals putting down small batch custom guitars such as the one posted here (not saying anyone is, just stating a point), just bc it was cut-out on a CNC. Many individuals will consider the guitar as CNC made and not Hand made, which is FAR from true. There is A LOT of Handwork that goes into an instrument such as this, so I still consider this to be a HAND-MADE instrument, And So should everyone else. Just think about the hardware that goes onto any instrument, this hardware is most likely machine made and not handmade. By looking at that statement, then all instruments, that use hardware, are CNC made.

What I have found is that many guitar builders who do not know how to operate a CNC, will be the first ones to insult an instrument bc it was cut out on a CNC. I feel these comments and prejudice are only bc they are Jealous that they do not have the capabilities to learn how to operate the CNC themselves. It all goes back to Fear what you don’t know or understand.

If you have not experienced it already, then Do Not let anyone get away with giving you a hard time just bc you cut the basic shapes out with a CNC. The CNC did not build this guitar, it only cut out guitar shaped objects. Assembling, Setting up, and Finishing the guitar are all handmade jobs. So take pride In knowing that this IS a HandMade instrument. It was built and assembled by hand using available tools to cut out the basic shapes.

There is a lot of Stigmata In The Guitar world when it comes to CNC work, that should not be there.

Great Job on this Handmade Instrument.

I will jump off my soapbox now. Keep up the great work.

1 Like