The OneHundred

I’ve been in heavy ‘X-Carve learning mode’: Recently hit 100 instagram follwers and figured this would be a good excuse to combine both CNC-routing and 3D printing in the same piece, so I came up with this silly thing:

I modeled this in Autodesk Maya, background was (obviously) routed on my X-Carve, the text was 3d-printed on my custom C-Bot. Lot more info & pics over on my blog:

Critiques on my cut settings welcome, always looking to improve. Mainly, I think I need to decrease the stepover on my finish pass to get rid of the scalloping, but overall it came out pretty well. Toolpath generated via MeshCAM, gcode sent via Chilipeppr.

The piece is 12" square, by 3/4" deep MDF.
Roughcut:
1/4″ 2 flute upcut endmill
DOC: .0625″
Stepover: .125″
Feedrate: 60″/minute
Took about 1.25 hrs

Finish Pass:
1/8″ 2 flute upcut ballnose
DOC: .0312″
Stepover: .025″
Feedrate 60″/minute
Took about 3.25 hours

1 Like

That is cool! :smile:

Very cool background. I like mixed medium stuff too. Curious though, with all those sharp lines and angles, wouldn’t a v-bit have given you cleaner lines, at least in the corners? I’m not sure what the capabilities of Maya are, so maybe that isn’t possible.

Maya is just a poly-modeler (well, it’s a lot more than that, but that’s what I’m using it for here) that can export .stl files, which I then read into MeshCam. I have some V-bits, but right now I’m only using MeshCAM for my toolpaths, which to my knowledge doesn’t support that type of bit (I could be totally wrong, this is all new to me). I’m on the mac, so my choices are currently very limited it seems for V-carving.

That being said, I plan on doing far more organic stuff that the ball-nose will lend itself to more.