The (un)Official guitar file and Easel project share thread!

size is right.BE SURE you change the body outline cut to outside, or it will be too small
i can add the mounting holes for either vintage or modern tele bridge and string-thru if you like

Thanks, for letting me know! Just changed it. Vintage bridge would be much appreciated!

The version I reposted has the holes.

1 Like

Anyone have a tele body with humbuckers? Going to try and do a Jim Root style tele but just one bucker in the bridge position and a single volume knob. If no one has one (or a similar one I can modify) I’ll try and make one and share it.

this one has a fully laid out recessed floyd…

Thank you. I really appreciate it.

Hey folks, here is my first try (well looks like it will work out) based on the Picciuto body…,

The tricky part was getting the electronics hole in the back lined up, I used pins for that. Practiced 8 times on pink foam first…
The guitar is for my 14 yo daughter who plays in a band hence the sparkly resin inlays. :grin: Of course the fact they play old Black Sabbath and Cream does not match the sparkles.
Wood is walnut, finish is ongoing but will be tru oil.
Neck from Warmoth

3 Likes

How do you like using the pink foam? Was going to give that a try once I start messing around again. Did you find some that was 1.75" thick? Or just go with the 1.5" and adjust accordingly?

I used 1.5 and adjusted. It is cheap which is nice. It wreaks havoc on my shopvac filter and not matter how I try I end up covered with pink dust. :grinning:

U mean Man Glitter? It’s all natural. DW.

Would someone happen to have one of these neck template files with the truss rod cavity on it?

I can put it together, but different truss rods have different dimensions

I’ll probably use the 18" Hot Rod low profile. But if I just had something to start with I can modify it. I have never done a neck and I’m trying to find a way to use the cnc to cut the neck shape, turning machine holes and truss cavity. From there I want to shape it and do the fretboard.

The Ed Hawley tele neck drawing dxf is in here with just about most common drawings you would want. If you cannot use CAD yet, I would encourage you to learn, as it opens up a whole new world of instrument building.

Here’s a thread that I developed to learn how to model a neck. I’m self taught, so it is pretty basic stuff. If you want to cut the perimeter and holes, that is pretty simple. There are free 3d cad programs out there.

A whole lot of guitar drawings:

https://www.gitarrebassbau.de/viewtopic.php?t=6

If you are using a regular hotrod, you can delete the curved vintage style rod and replace it with a straight slot that is 7/32 wide by 7/16" deep. The low profile one probably has a different set of dimensions if it anything like those other blue wrapped rods. I installed 5 of those and found that I spent more time fiddling with the 2-3 different routs necessary to install it, that it wasn’t worth the cost savings over the original hotrod. This is my latest guitar made the last month. It is Kay 142 inspired. It’s all hand done except the pickguard and rosewood bridge which I cnc’d.
kayfront small

guard
I did this Silvertone inspired Dano type in March.

The car comes out of the garage 5/1, so that means I can get to the Xcarve and put the mods on I bought this winter and get back to my one piece F style maple neck project that I stopped working on in the late Fall.

1 Like

Thanks, Martin. This will help. My idea is to automate the making of the perimeter, tuner holes, and truss cavity. Then, assemble and shape it by hand.

1 Like

You can take that Ehawley neck drawing and open that up in a CAD drawing that accepts DXF files. CamBam is the one I use for 2.5 D stuff, which it sounds like what you are doing. I draw in Rhino, save it as a DXF, and open it in CamBam to create the toolpath. There are other programs these days that’ll do the same thing. I’ve been using Rhino and Cambam for years and they do what I want, so I keep using them.

1 Like

Adobe Illustrator is the best drawing tool I’ve found. CAD programs tend to fall short in the curvature intuitiveness department - Illustrator’s pen tool is just perfect for guitar drawings since there’s a whole lot of imperfect shapes, oblong radii, subtle twists, bumps, turns…that stuff usually takes a fair amount of effort to get right, but Illustrator just handles it all with one tool - if you know how to work with the hot key shortcuts, you’ll be getting work done very quickly.

I wrote an article to help people get into it here.

Just working on an 8-string now:

3 Likes

Here is a 7 string with floyd rose… woods are walnut/cedar/walnut. Still need to assemble but all the carving is done and pieces fit just right.IMG_1353.HEIC (1.0 MB)
IMG_1347.HEIC (984.8 KB)
IMG_1355.HEIC (1.1 MB)
IMG_1355.HEIC (1.1 MB)

took a bit of trial and error but it’s going to be a beast

1 Like

Did you mill those pickup covers with your X-Carve? The brushed aluminum looks good.