Tiling of a pattern

I saw that wit the brand new Xcarve 4x4 or 4x2 the Easel should be able to carve longer patterns than the working area itself. Since the design of the “old” xcarve is genious enough to have open front and rear that should be possible also with the recent xcarve.

Is that so?

And if yes, how may that be done?

(would be really great since several furniture patterns need parts longer than the working area itself)

The updates to Easel Pro that would allow you to carve longer patterns wont be available until the XCarve Pro ships out, which is expected to be April 2021.

@Matthias1. There will be a new feature to do the tiling, however, you can do the tiling now on the XCarve. I do tiling on a regular basis. Here is a video on one example. https://youtu.be/K8VoukmDlwM

Tiling with old Xcarve is perfectly doable, as the software do not pose a size restriction and the controller itselv only count “steps” and dont care about distance :slight_smile:

Longest carve I have done was 82" single piece (2 speaker baffles) split into 6 segments.
I used a bump stop to keep parallell alignment and dowels for offset reference.

4 Likes

Damn, that is a crazy long speaker.

Exciting! I thought there is a way, since the design is open on both ends.

Please excuse my ignorance, I am a freshman at the XCarve:

If I have a design that goes beyound the physical properties, the carriage could be moved up endlessly. But now it comes to a mechanical end, and does not transport any further because the machine stops mechanically. How does it know to stop? I assume the pattern must be devided and and the workpiece repositioned, must it not?

Tall :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is correct. I generated a tool path covering only each segment (or tile) with a pilot hole + matching hole in the spoil board. So for each tile the machine made a new pilot hole so I could reposition with accuracy and carve next tile. In my case I had three different toolpaths, one for bottom, one for middle for as these are identical and the third for the top.

When I contoured the baffles I pre-carved a “negative” of the driver openings so I had a known reference point. Clamped the baffle down on the negative and ran the contouring (again three different programs)

I see. I thought so. Excellent idea with the pilot hole. Thank you!