Willing to port this over to a project once I can post external links for the BOM. In the mean time, for anyone curious, here's the run down!
Here's my set-up. There's only two custom parts needed, which can both be trimmed on the X-Carve using this link for the Easel file. I have it set up for PVC sheet, but acrylic or nylon will work very well also. I also totally borked my first run with these and they went crashing into a brick of 20# tooling foam. The arms moved out of the way just as intended!
This is the finished result on the machine - just one trip to Home Depot and a little Amazon shopping and you're set!
List of materials:
Mini Shop Vacuum. This one at Amazon had great reviews and has worked excellently so far
Loc Line. One kit will work, but you need two threaded bases. I went with the 3/4" I.D. stuff
- 3/4" PVC pipe, approx 4"
- 3/4" PVC threaded coupler
- 3/4" PVC T-coupler, one threaded end
- 1" PVC pipe, approx 24" (length will vary depending on your specific table set-up)
- 1" PVC 90 degree elbow
- PVC Cement
The 3/4" pieces should be glued together in this configuration. One threaded end pointed down, one pointed out to the side, and a bare coupler pointed upright. If your lower threaded connector has any sort of raised shapes (this one had a sort of hex wrench pattern) this will need to be sanded flush. Cement the T and straight couplers together and let them set.
The Easel file above is meant to trim out two mounting rings. These pinch on the straight coupler and the threaded end of one of the loc-line kits, then mount to the spindle carrier on the X-Carve. (You'll need to drill a hole for the screws across the block ends after they're trimmed out.)
In order to give the most adjustment on the loc-line, you should use the upper-most two mounting positions. For those wondering, yes the pieces here are laser-cut acrylic. I did this as a test before trimming the finals out of nylon, since the acrylic isn't very forgiving when it comes to flexing of any sort.
Make sure to slip the mounting rings on before assembling everything. This is the finished piece that fits to the spindle mount.
If you're going with the same shop-vac I used, then 1" PVC pipe will slip into the vac line easily. I ran this to a 90 degree fitting and up to a mounting block on the side of my work table. This gives me some extra length to the vac hose so I don't have to worry about binding. Also, the vacuum slips out of the PVC easily for cleaning.
Additionally, the shop vac hose will slip over both 1" PVC and 3/4" couplers easily once you pop off the supplied ABS connectors. I left the side on the spindle loose without a hose clamp so I can disconnect it and clean up any scrap bits that may fly loose.
Thus far I've only run the collector with 20# tooling foam but it picks up chips wonderfully. There's still a handful scattered around the machine but the finishing passes with 3D parts have way less dust. It also keeps the V-wheels nice and free of debris, which was my main concern with cutting foam.
Hope this helps!