To torsion box or not?

@JKWestPhal - Wow, dude! Nice table!

Chris

P.S. Has anyone seen the old New Yankee Workshop video when Norm made that work table the sits on it’s legs, but can pop up on casters quick and easy to roll around?

1 Like

Many thanks,
Believe it or not the legs/frame started out as the concrete forms for my sidewalk from the house to the shop.

I just saw it again on youtube recently, I love watching those old episodes.

@JkWestphal I think you’re going to be OK but I thought I would mention it because we talk about thousandths on this board, which is a level of tolerance above what is typical in woodworking, where I’ve seen issues in the past. My first torsion table was twisted about 2 weeks after I finished it (thankfully that phase of the project - planing some huge slabs - was complete by that time). I’ll be curious to see how it holds out for you for sure.

This may really sound nuts but I was just looking at an old glass dining room table top I have and thinking “you can’t get much flatter or more stable than that.”

I’m not sure how to hook the machine to the table or even if it is necessary but this is looking like it might work.

I would welcome anyone’s input on this.

While I’m not sure glass would be the surface I’d go with, you could epoxy the frame down to it, or epoxy bolts down, that you attached the x-carve to. However, I’d be really leery of using something as brittle as glass to hold something that vibrates as much as a router. The granite idea I’ve seen around here should be much less brittle, and the weight will also work in your favor to stabilize things.