Tool Pathing in Easel

I’m cutting out a bunch of holes in a piece of wood and I noticed the carve was using a very inefficient path to cut the holes. Every two passes around the hole the bit came all the way up and then back down again. Here is a video of what I’m talking about.:

I don’t use Easel and you are right that is not good tool path. Is this a drilling op with chip clearing or just a pocket op. Have you looked at the Gcode with a Gcode editor to see what is going on there.

1 Like

It’s a fill cut on a .40 hole, I think it has to do with a mix of the bit size and how much overlap you have in the cuts. There are some other holes in this project that are different size and they were cut normal, without the bit lifting. I didn’t check the g-code as I’m using easel for this. It was just really tedious as there were 24 of these cut :stuck_out_tongue:

That is definitely some odd behaviour there. I had some weird paths happening during some large pockets the other days just random directions, not the expected “spiral”. I know Inventables are working on some more toolpath optimizations, so hopefully that with resolve a lot of the quirks.

1 Like

I hope so, that carve took twice as long as it should have.

Ya, I had a couple that were like that. All you can do is watch and yell at youR machine saying, “STOP DOING THAT, THAT’S THE WORST WAY TO DO THAT!!”

2 Likes

I’m glad it’s not me. Mine has been doing that all night. Also at the end of some of the fill holes. Only so far deep. It seems to go back over the last tool path. Cutting nothing.

2 Likes